Catherynne Valente schools her racist neighbors about the asylum seekers in their midst

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/18/nextdoor-is-terrible.html

38 Likes

Catherynne M. Valente for Congress!

36 Likes

Nextdoor in San Diego is a swimming cess pool of busy bodies with zero to do all day.

So say I…

21 Likes

I’m intrigued! Do Americans usually call people ‘bellends’? I’m from the UK, and thought that was UK specific.

22 Likes
13 Likes

I’m American and this is the first time I’ve heard it (ever)

4 Likes

Dialect coach here. “Bellend” isn’t in common usage anywhere in America that I am aware of; however, Americans who have read a lot of UK literature or studied in the UK (like I did) will have been exposed to it, and it’s a lot easier to consume UK media (movies! TV! podcasts!) than it used to be, so I’m not surprised to find some Americans as individuals making use of the term.

24 Likes

31 Likes

Somehow I feel like she is wasting her breath - these people are ‘fixed’ in situ and plain facts aren’t gonna change that. Though they may die believing they are good and moral, perhaps just one might pause for a second and consider the possibility she is right and they have been approaching life all wrong. It’s always worth a shot.

10 Likes

God, I’d ask her to Thanksgiving (with all the bigotry that entails) here in JawJa in a heartbeat. I need a defender.

7 Likes

I already thought Cat Valente was great, but damn.

13 Likes

Amen sister! Can you translate that to Swiss German so I can post it in whatever the Next Door is of our anti-asylum cantons?

5 Likes

The NextDoor group for my neighborhood in San Francisco must be pretty tame, or aggressively moderated. There’s complaining about package thieves and car break ins (both chronic problems here over the past several years), but otherwise people seem mostly polite, civil, and not overtly racist/xenophobic.

4 Likes

I came here to confer a double-extra-good-like for the appropriate use of that wonderful term. After decades of hearing Hollywood misuse “wanker”, it is nice to see someone correctly appropriating our rich linguistic culture. :smiley:

The piece was very pithy; especially in skewering the cock-mongling yacht owners and those aging ball-sacks who vote away the benefits that their baby-boomer generation have over taxed.

9 Likes

@Lisa_Beebe and @Neovison.vison Do you feel that the word accurately communicated its meaning to you?

1 Like

Well said that woman! More power to her elbow!

3 Likes

She actually uses a number of terms more common to the UK. I checked her page on Wikipedia, and it says she studied in Edinburgh. That probably explains it. If you’re going to pick up curse words, university is a good time to do it, and the Scotts are are good people to teach them to you.

26 Likes

Damn…

Some excellent use of rhetoric there.

4 Likes

Part of me wants to see the replies. The rest of me knows better.

21 Likes

Sadly I suspect you’re right.

From what I’ve seen, it’s only the tiny minority of Nextdoor users that view it as anything other than a write-only medium. Those who actually take the time to read any part of her post will probably get as far as “she doesn’t agree with me” and stop reading.

3 Likes