CBP employees' new challenge coin mocks care for migrant kids

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/12/keep-the-caravans-coming.html

When you dehumanize others, you dehumanize yourself. While stripping others of their humanity, you have to take their pleading gazes, their cries for mercy, their need for dignity, and set aside your humility, your shame, your guilt, and become a cold-hearted monster. A monster that’s no more human than what you accuse the people you’re oppressing of being.

32 Likes

If you’re curious about the “code” that rings the coin:
          NTA   THE “NEW” PATROL   OTM’S

NTA = “Notice To Appear”: the first step to a deportation hearing.
OTM’S = “Other Than Mexican” (with misuse of apostrophe, of course) is an official DHS designation, apparently
NEW = Wouldnt surprised me if “NEW” wasn’t some oh-so-clever, racist acronym/inside joke.
The blue and white flag is that of Honduras: :honduras:

8 Likes

I just hope I’m alive to see whatever they call the new version of the nuremberg trials.

9 Likes

This would not be happening without an exemplar at the head of government.

3 Likes

tumblr_mes4elmHyz1qkjvfg

3 Likes

Good. Now we can for sure identify anyone who owns those coins as a fucking monsters that must be keep away from society.

2 Likes

Collect all four!

1 Like

It’s not a popular opinion, but I think this breed of dehumanization is another byproduct of our gamifying the world.

3 Likes

Seconded, but you only get that with a serious regime change. Getting Il Douche out of office in 2020 would be a good first step, but there will still be appeasers in both parties’ establishments who will bend over backwards to avoid going after the kind of scumbags who carry these coins.

2 Likes

Evil politicians rarely get punished comprehensively. Nixon was pardoned, remember.

1 Like

Among infinitely more egregious evils perpetrated with gleeful abandon on children.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.