CBS All Access makes Star Trek: Picard free to non-subscribers

Except, not available in Canada.

1 Like

I was just on their site AND Amazon. On Amazon you get 1 week free, as usual. On CBS, you get the month, also as usual.

Well, it’s better than Discovery, but what isn’t?

I’d rate it as strictly OK. Picard gets yelled at a lot, for being a daft old man, which gives me a sad. Also, Space Legolas. Jeez.

1 Like

Enterprise!
This was a quiz, right? Did I win anything?

3 Likes

Enterprise?
(And I liked Enterprise, half the time anyway. But Discovery is much better so far, for me.)

2 Likes

I’ve been lucky that I have both Amazon Prime and Netflix, since CBS split the international rights twixt the two. And I can firmly state that the huge majority of Discovery haters never watched the series beyond “The Vulcan Hello”. It was a first season, and a great second season. And I love Picard, the deep attention paid not to contradict TNG, Voyager or the movies.

2 Likes

Is this the one where he leaves the vineyard and they get the gang back together?

2 Likes

I love all of RLM reviews. BUT, I think they are completely off on Picard. It’s almost like they are going out of their way to not like it. They give more ridiculous Trek a free pass and then bring higher standards to this. Picard is quite good, it is different but a nice addition to the universe.

2 Likes

No old gang. But, yes, leaving the Vineyard.

1 Like

I’m enjoying it immensely. My next thing is going to be watching TNG where the Borg show up. I never saw that story arc - only caught a couple of the shows.

1 Like

Nope. It’s first month free, cancel anytime before you’re able to enter a code.

1 Like

ok - sounds like we have similar perspectives - I’ll give Picard a shot. Thx!

1 Like

If you are a fan of the ST:NG movies then ST:P is for you.

I agree with Red Letter Media it’s bad action tv with SF elements.
SYFY could have made a better Star trek show.

Hell, I would have rather had the WB’s version. They wouldn’t have had the money for the dumb action scenes so maybe the writing wouldn’t have been shit.

2 Likes

I’ve avoided spoilers and reviews about it whenever possible. I really wanted to watch it, and it sounds like I can now (didn’t realize there was a “try out” previously).

I do hope it is more Trek-y than the Kelvin timeline. I really did enjoy the remake with it’s action, but Trek has always been more ‘thinky’ than actiony when it is at its best. It’s social commentary in the clothes of wagontrain to space. Star Wars was the action franchise.

It’s funny - when Trek become more action focused and Wars became more deep-plot focused, both franchises had people angry at changing the basic formula. It’s in the name guys. One is about the battle, one is about the journey.

3 Likes

So… Now I can torrent it guilt-free?

1 Like

Well done. Neelix will be over with your prize shortly.

2 Likes

If you treat it as handsomely produced, generic SF it’s fine. I’d like a bit more Trek, personally, and a bit less [redacted for spoiler purposes]. And definitely less [redacted].

1 Like

TNG fan but never got into the other shows. Picard is more action-y than TNG, but still better than the movies (TNG movies were pretty terrible, and the Nu Trek movies are just not Star Trek at all). I’m enjoying it.

I must say I got more feels seeing Will and Deanna again in this than seeing Han and Lando in the Star Wars sequels

3 Likes

My main misgiving with Picard is that it does look like they’re leaning into the action zone pretty hard. Alex Kurtzman’s, shall we say, questionable history with coherent story and characters (Into Darkness anyone?) is especially worrying. I have enjoyed some parts of the action-ification of Star Trek over the years, and this one at least has characters and actors that I care about, so I’m probably gonna watch it.

3 Likes