CBS All Access Places Series Order for "Star Trek: Strange New Worlds," Based on the U.S.S. Enterprise Crew from "Discovery"

Now there’s tea on my screen.

4 Likes

It’s all a bit timey-wimey.

In the TNG movie, Star Trek: First Contact, they defeat the Borg trying to alter Earth’s past, but some Borg crash in Antarctica mid-21st century.

In the series Star Trek Enterprise, they dig up those Borg, who awake and almost escape/contact the Borg in the 22nd century. That leaves humans with some knowledge of the Borg and samples of their (24th century) technology.

Discovery spoilers?

Discovery is in that timeline, 23rd century, with references to Captain Archer in the past. Section 31 is even more paranoid than in the TNG/DS9 timeline, and has been researching Borg technology for a century, with spin-offs. Control seems to use some very Borg-like technology for taking over humans with nanoprobes.

Picard is probably still set in the TNG timeline. (I’m not sure how the RoboCthulhu that was almost summoned in the last episode fits in.)

1 Like

I always took it on faith that there was an unaired episode of Enterprise in which their incessant time fiddling created a closed loop, trapping the entire series in chronic hysteresis and isolating it from the rest of the ST multiverse.

5 Likes

I’m optimistic about this.

Ethan Peck was on the Star Trek cruise back what feels like two years but was apparently only two months ago. It seemed like it was his first time being around a big chunk of fandom, and he really seemed to be blown away by it all and having a blast. It was really nice. I’m glad he’s getting a chance to continue to play Spock.

1 Like

One thing I’d like to see is for them to back way off on serialization for this new show. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with serialization of TV shows, but the pendulum has swung a little to far that way, particularly with Trek shows.

So let’s just have a show where each episode is it’s own story. There’s no “big bad” driving the season. No big mystery to solve that gets dragged out over twelve episodes. Just well crafted stand-alone episodes. (I will allow a couple of two parters.)

3 Likes

Yeah… no one said that, ever.

I mean, I’m sure at least one of the 7 billion humans on the planet hold that position, but I’m pretty sure that there are significantly more people that believe in mole men than there are people that wanted and are shocked to find that Michael Burnham, who, uh, is black, Spock’s sister, and obviously not the Number One that was already introduced multiple times, is not going to play the role of Number One.

I really hate how the Internet is just a pile of stupid strawman arguments. When it isn’t a completely made up strawman like in this silly comment, they go find one of the 7 billion people in this world that has voiced some extreme minority position in social media to act as their strawman.

1 Like

I wish they’d take notes from DS9, or hell, do more of what they did in terms of story size in season 1 of Discovery. I like the flexibility that being a serial drama gives. If you need to tell a story with 3 or 4 episodes, do it, but only if you need to. I think the Mirror Universe arc from season 1 of Discovery was a great example of this. It was a few episodes long and the serial style worked. At the same time, telling a few shorter stories and letting time actually pass lets your characters grow and develop. It’s okay if there is a wider story going on that is overshadowing everything, as long as they are spending time to have deal with other issues.

If you utterly ignore everything after they get back from the Mirror Universe, I’d call season 1 of Discovery almost perfect. It has a few multi-part arcs, a few bite sized stories like the “Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad” episode, and it all hangs together pretty good with solid character development.

1 Like

There’s an episode of Enterprise with the Borg, so it’s not out of the question…

1 Like

Hmmm. Is this all thanks to the Paramount/Viacom/CBS merger that put Trek Film and Trek TV back under the same roof?

Edit for related info:

I think having the whole ball of wax turns ST from a plank to a pillar investment-in-empire-wise …

The chief virtue of Classic Trek is that it got three seasons of a gay love triangle on to 1960s primetime US TV.

6 Likes

That’s neat. Now where’s my Peace War / Marooned in Realtime miniseries on Netflix?

2 Likes

Pike, Spock, Number One?

No Yeoman Colt?

Yeah OK whatever, have a nice day

1 Like
1 Like

I love those books…did Amazon buy rights to it or is this wishful thinking?

I’ll pass too. Discovery was terrible.

Personally, the novel that I desperately want to see as a miniseries is Heinlein’s “Citizen of the Galaxy.”

I don’t think serialization is going to last to be honest. Even with streaming services giving you access to the back catalog of a series often it’s not as enjoyable to watch what others have already spilled the beans on. Plus, I think most serialized shows don’t do it well as it often requires you to get deep into start of the story to enjoy it. I think Babylon 5 and DS9 had the right balance of serialized vs episodic story telling. I hope more show runners go back to that mix since it’s easier to jump into the middle of a series if there’s some mix of that rather than feeling obligated to dredge through a season or two to get caught up.

I’m in agreement with you actually. My wife and I are watching ST: Discovery for the first time, and we just finished episode 7, which was much more of a standard episodic style show, but building on past plot lines. And it was by far the best of the series to date. So yeah, a better mix of one-off episodes with the underpinnings of season-long plot arcs works great.

3 Likes

The “what if” should be followed by an “if … then”. There should be some logic leading from the “if” to the “then”. Science fiction is the literature of ideas and their consequences. What we have here is just “literature of wrong, illogical ideas.”

True that.
Representation and Diversity - trying hard, we’ve got black Americans, white Americans, gay Americans, cyborg Americans, even Alien refugees to America, Mirror Universe Americans and Klingons surgically converted to Americans.
We’ve got a Captain speaking with a Malaysian accent, but her last name is Greek-mispronounced-the-American way, which means that she probably has an American (or Greek-American) parent. Anyway, she doesn’t count, she’s fridged in the first episode.
A for effort.

Oh, we’ve got Klingons as a metaphor for American interior politics now. Makes total sense, because after all, relations between different peoples are just like American interior politics, and nothing else on Earth could be a better comparison, and nothing else on Earth matters anyway. /s

Which also means we can go all out in the war department, because now we know that them alien enemies are evil and we do not need to think about things like “peace” or “avoiding war” anymore. Great. Except when the main character does some character development and no longer feels vengeful, then the war will just evaporate, because it has served its purpose, plot-wise.

And that’s just Season one.