CBS All Access Places Series Order for "Star Trek: Strange New Worlds," Based on the U.S.S. Enterprise Crew from "Discovery"

Whole Lotta discovery hate here versus discussing the new series. No one hates Star Trek more than gatekeeping trek fans apparently.

1 Like

I will say the bright set design for Strange New Worlds is a marked improvement from the “Das Boot” lighting they have on Discovery. The Discovery bridge is so dark, how does anyone see what they are supposed to do?

In the future human eyes have evolved to let in more light. Fallout from WWIII. Or, at least its better than JJs apple store Bridge with lights shining in your face at every moment.

Also, how is it any darker than the lighting in TMP or Wrath of Khan or the defiant under cloak?
On the same token, who could work every day in TNGs stagey-beigey and not go crazy?

(I try not to let a design choice for television alter the logistics of actual usage)

1 Like

Both the films only darkened the set for plot specific moments. Discovery is dark all the time.

The TNG people had a lot of problems with lighting the same bridge set for films. Which is why they darkened the uniforms and it looks kinda off.

Guilty as charged.
Unfortunately, there is nothing much else to discuss about the new series, except for what it’s based on, and the general “style” that the people in charge of creating it have been following with their previous work.

And as for the “hate” and the “gatekeeping” - nice short-hand arguments. Wait, are you just gatekeeping against anyone who does not appreciate the direction Star Trek is being taken by the people currently in charge?

If Star Trek was in the public domain, I’d have a much easier time focusing on the interpretations that I do like. But as Star Trek is private property, when people take it in a direction I don’t like, taht means there will be no one who has the right to take it in a direction I do like. And that’s worth complaining about, I think.
Also, there are so many conservative Americans who complain about Discovery for all the wrong reasons (because it has women and gay men!), so most of the Internet is just not a good place to complain about it - I’ve got nowhere else to go :wink:

2 Likes

Wow that would be cool.

These books did something for me that few other books have ever managed - they presented a political ideology that I do not myself believe in, and made it likable and believable within the book.
I’m still no libertarian and no anarchist, but I hope that thanks to Vinge I understand and respect them better.

Contrast that with Heinlein, who I keep coming back to because every single book I’ve read by him leaves me with the impression that it was written by some sort of monster, or at the very least by an amoral alien being that I will never understand. Or he was writing dystopian novels and not admitting it.

Though if we can have a Vinge, then I want “A Deepness in the Sky”, which is one of my favorite novels of all time. I’m all for a full season of TV, and I want the special effects guys to go overboard for the whole “translation vs reality” issue (I hope that’s vague enough not to spoil anything for the people who haven’t read the book).

The new show already piqued my interest.

Rebecca Romjin was introduced to the Star Trek Universe while eating a cheeseburger. I would love to see more of that.

2 Likes

Not in the least. Just never understood the line of thought that 'this doesn’t match my limited expectations so it is not good/not star trek. ’ I just don’t get hating on something so much. If it isn’t to my taste, I move on. (for example the JJ films were terrible to me but I didn’t waste a single moment bitching about them)

Ugh… Don’t get me started on anyone who considers themselves to be a conservative and a fan of Star Trek. Talk about conflict of interest.

2 Likes

So much for less America-centrism on Star Trek then :wink:

1 Like

A sign of the changing times.

Whereas back in TOS

1 Like

I guess it goes with the whole mushroom thing. Even black alert.

1 Like

Does going to black alert involve removing the lightbulb?

2 Likes

Only if it’s replaced with the black light bulb.

1 Like

Disco(very) Trek?

2 Likes

“Either we’re under attack, or we’re having a disco!”

2 Likes

Wishful, wishful thinking on my part.

2 Likes

“Same panic, different Disco!”

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

It can be two things!

2 Likes

Bummer…but I’ll wish right along with you.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.