Check out the new Wonder Woman trailer

Ha! I am in the minority who thinks that The Motion Picture was by far the best Star Trek movie.

6 Likes

:muscle:. :dancer:. :older_woman:. :open_mouth:.

:wink:

8 Likes

I realize that cigar-chomping is a cultural signifier for toughness…but he’s in a friggin space suit. How would you even ash?! How would you see? So many questions.

13 Likes

I think they are sentences, answers to an implied question. For example, in response to the question “What is your favorite color?”, a valid sentence response is “Blue.”. These are all descriptors answering the question “Why is this figure and why would I want to see her in a movie?”

And by putting periods there, you put a pause between them when reading it. That’s what punctuation is for - to tell you how to read something. Without them you would try to read it all as a single sentence first and then reparse it when you realize it doesn’t make sense that way.

3 Likes

Fair point. And I liked Gal Gadot (who is at least Mediterranean) in BvS (one of the few high points of a very mediocre movie). But at the same time, the Hellenes tended to identify more with their island, region or city than the whole of what the Romans called Graeci (I suspect kind of like how Americans and Canadians are both North Americans), and did most of their fighting among themselves.

ROWR!!!

5 Likes

Not sure I think by far the best, but it was truest to the ideas of the series. Those films that aren’t awful have qualities that are not really comparable so I find It difficult. To compare.

3 Likes

It’s WW1 instead of WW2 but you know what I don’t care. It looks better than any of the super/batman films.

6 Likes

I hope they do WWI justice and it’s not just Downtin Abbey with a superhero.

1 Like

If it makes us cringe at the amazing careless tossing of lives into a meatgrinder of war then they will.

6 Likes

Lets be real, too. Any time after like 3k BC everyone for a few thousand miles was pretty Greek. Shit, Ramses who lineage was Greek.

I point you to Jason Mantzoukas, who can play any ethnicity from that region. He even gets mistaken for a local everywhere he goes.

3 Likes

this actually looks pretty great, like a woman-led version of all the best parts of 300 (I realize i just divided the audience for this post in half…) i cringed a little when she came up over the trenchline, all of a sudden the costume looked really silly. but it grew on me as i realized it actually looks a lot like turn of the century golden age illustration/art nouveau angels and it fit in nicely to the WWI backdrop.

I’m pretty psyched, but Snyder flicks almost seem like they are made purely as fodder for trailers, so I’m cautiously psyched.

5 Likes

My fellow Trek friends are baffled by my insistence that it’s a great and enjoyable Trek movie. It’s definitely a product of it’s time, but it’s nice to have one film that’s more about the sense of wonder than the more militaristic 2, 3, 6, etc.

6 Likes

[quote=“popobawa4u, post:19, topic:82035”]
“POWER. GRACE. WISDOM. WONDER.”[/quote]
Hey, with the exception of “wisdom”, all of those could be grammatical as verbs in the imperative mood, one-word commands, as in “(You,) POWER (the equipment).” “(You,) GRACE (us with your presence).” “(You,) WONDER (why they used periods instead of commas).”

3 Likes

Chris Pine is in this thing? Who keeps hiring this guy?

3 Likes

I can agree on the last sentence but TMP isn’t so bad. The major fault in the movie (aside from basing the plot on a crappy episode of TOS ) is pacing it like 2001: A Space Odyssey. Or Close Encounters. Whatever thing inspired their pacing, it was a bad idea.

5 Likes

I like “The Motion Picture”. I think a lot of people don’t because nothing “Dun blowed up good…”.

6 Likes

Oh yeah, when I got a chance to see it on a saturday afternoon on TV I was all like okay we have seen the giant insect cloud thing already lets move on with the plot now. It may have been cool on a 70mm giant screen but it dragged on way too long seeing it on the small screen.

2 Likes

You know he’s been dead these last 15 years, right? Anything since 2001 is from his estate, not actually him.

3 Likes

No I did not know that, how sad. But it is beside the point of my rather lame joke, which I could explain if you want.

3 Likes