Check out this gigantic cock

I’ve seen bigger.

(“Hahn/Cock”, 2013)

8 Likes

seems to be an understaffed chicken-centipede.

1 Like

I saw that sculpture in person last year. Still can’t quite wrap my mind around it. None of the Cubans that I asked about it could explain it either.

3 Likes

Year of the rooster, giants around in R’dam:

Some confusion here.

Look at the size, gigantic.

Ah, another one.

4 Likes

Rob, you’ve got some click bait titling competition going down:

7 Likes

I’m in no position to buy a home any time soon but i’m looking forward to being able to. I’ve wanted to learn how to raise chickens, and i agree with you that there’s a good number of really neat breeds. The one in the video if i recall correctly was a Brahma, an American breed that has some lineage to chickens imported from Shanghai.

2 Likes

Some Chicken Zen for you then:

2 Likes

For the headline alone, Heather. This big fella is beautiful and amazing.

3 Likes

The ‘President’ says you don’t need it; just grab them by the pussy. I don’t imagine many felines want to take on this big cock.

2 Likes

I should have mentioned I meant a male goose. They are arseholes.

Not surprising you wouldn’t want one around as they will attack the family, but predators mostly keep away also.

We’ve kept & raised bantams now for about 5 years. They are super fun to watch & they are great for the soil. I like having “livestock.” But considering the cost & hassle, backyard eggs are shockingly expensive. And, the fate of many yard birds is either violent death or mercy killing. Two years ago we raised 6 Cochins from chicks. All eventually met a bloody demise, despite our best efforts. We’re down to two elderly hens (who still lay, amazingly), with no plans to continue when they’re gone.

3 Likes

I presume this is largely due to the area you live in? I’ve known people who raised chickens and seemed like a pretty relaxed endeavor. And most untimely chicken deaths from what i’ve heard tends to happen because of dogs.

1 Like

Yeah, nobody should keep chickens at home to save money on eggs. Have them because chickens are fun, and because it’s the best way to know exactly where your awesome eggs came from.

Planning for the end of their lives is probably the biggest hurdle for me. I didn’t have to be responsible for that when I was a kid, obviously.

4 Likes

Dogs are a major predator of urban chickens, to be sure. We live in an older suburb in a medium-size city, heavily wooded near a trail and woodlands. We have seen a fox inside our fenced-in yard and others crossing nearby streets. Our hens were killed by a raccoon, an opossum (maybe), a dog (probably), and a red-tailed hawk.

Overall it is a “pretty relaxed endeavor” – just one fraught with risks for the birds & concurrent responsibilities for owners. Lots of things like the taste of chicken!

1 Like

We have a city ordinance that allows up to 6 hens (no roosters) with coop setback requirements. Many of our friends have raised chickens. With very few exceptions, all have experienced partial or total chicken massacres. A raccoon can get into a coop and kill (or maim) every bird, eating only a little. Even a baby 'possum can kill an adult hen. Hawks learn where chickens live and stalk them.

1 Like

Don’t be ashamed of your own rooster after seeing this one. You really can’t tell how big your rooster is compared to another until you line them up right next to each other.

2 Likes

Giant Cock with Tiny Dick?

1 Like

And for tastier eggs.

6 Likes

They will also eat anything. Bugs, worms, ticks, weeds. Compost scraps? Throw 'em in there. Kill a mouse in a mousetrap? NOM.

Yes, they are really like small dinos. It’s still amazing to me that even with those tiny brains, they do seem to have personalities.

2 Likes

This has been the impediment for us. We have a permit for 4 hens, but we grow more vegetables than most people think is possible to do on .11 acres. We’d have to consume the remaining uncultivated space to build an enclosed run to keep them out of our food.

3 Likes