Checking to see if Japanese people like root beer

Ginger beer is strong ginger ale.
Root beer has no ginger in it at all. It has a sweet herbal wintergreen flavor.

2 Likes

I made my own fermented ginger beer once as an experiment. Conceptually, it was really close to pruno.

Samesies. Also Cream soda from A-Treat.

2 Likes

You mean the joyous reaction to over-sugaring my inner child with sweet sweet candy juice?

May not be pleasant for others around me, but I love the stuff (also Pepsi blue… sadly long since gone…)

I love chinotto. It’s not that easy to find, though.

I don’t know, haven’t had kvass but malta is a byproduct from brewing but its non-alcoholic. It’s basically spent barley and molasses and the flavor is very molasses forward. I love it, and while not common done I have used it with rum for mixed drinks. If you want to try it the one Goya makes is ok but my favorite is the Venezuelan brand Malta Polar

d8f137cfcc81872b8d323f766f7c6994

d2cb1e63692d7b3e757ebc4934014ac9

3 Likes

A few of these, and you won’t care what root beer tastes like:

2 Likes

All of the “root beer” available these days is actually sarsaparilla. No one makes real root beer anymore since it turns out that sassafras root causes cancer.

3 Likes

Whoa, did not know that.

3 Likes

Common ingredients in root beer include vanilla, cherry tree bark, wintergreen, molasses, anise, liquorice root , cinnamon, and honey among others. The primary ingredient is still sassafras flavour

Seems like they would use some kind of extract or artificial flavor for the sassafras if i had to guess. I really don’t care to find out since i don’t like it, but seeing the other ingredients tells me exactly why i hate everything about the drink. I don’t like things with cherry, anise and licorice and i’m very picky about what foods i have that happen to have cinnamon and vanilla, and i very rarely have things with mint in them.

My local Italian grocery closed, and anyway they only stocked the San Pellegrino kind, which is a Nestle product.

If you have an Eataly near you, I found they usually have a couple of different brands of chinotto!

2 Likes

Kvass is made from rye bread, sugar, and dried fruit. It is also considered non alcoholic, but nothing fermented is completely non alcoholic. It is very dark and malty.

1 Like

I wonder how the Japanese might like yerba mate?

My old boss always had crates of Materva, but I didn’t like the taste so much. He called it liquid crack, supposedly for the energy it gave you.

1 Like

I was the only one in my family with the same opinion. Birch beer and ginger beer taste much better. If I didn’t look so much like my mother, they might’ve suggested there was a mix-up at the hospital where I was born.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t describe malta as being malty, it tends to have more of a brown sugar/molasses taste to it. My experience is most Americans find the taste to be weird, i don’t mind… more for me :smiley:

2 Likes

I’d love to try kvass someday; the description makes it sound like something you’d drink as punishment, but the Russian cookbooks I have never fail to include fond memories of drinking kvass from street vendors.

1 Like

Doesn’t Schweppes make cream soda? I don’t drink soda any more, but IIRC, Schweppes Cream Soda isn’t that sweet compared to, you know, Pepsi or Fanta.

Also, do you have Sarsi in Europe? I thought that was fairly close to root beer back in the day, (sweeter than, say, Dad’s or Barg’s, but not as sweet as A&W or Mug).

In my experience, it tasted like someone poured their last bit of Coors into your flat cola.

2 Likes

One quick google search later… Apparently yes, but seems it is only distributed in UK. In spain you can find easily schweppes’ tonic water and ginger ale, and less commonly - it’s more of a gourmet than supermarket thing - orange and lemon flavored sodas, and weirdly flavored tonic waters.

I don’t know about Sarsi, but in the 50’s and 60’s “zarzaparrilla” was a common drink in spain, with a national manufactured poised to compete with Coca Cola:

(Photo caption says: “Sarsaparrilla 1001: 100% spanish cola-based drink”)

Unfortunately these days it’s night impossible to find in Spain a sarsaparrilla-flavored soda, unless you resort to import.

2 Likes