Cheech and Chong podcast interview

The July 27 episode of the WTF podcast has an excellent hour-and-a-half interview with Cheech and Chong. It turns out they had very interesting lives before they got together to form the incredibly successful comedy duo. Tommy Chong was the guitar player in a Motown-label rhythm and blues band, and Cheech Marin was a music… READ THE REST

Wow, that’s a whole lot of commercials to choke down before finding Cheech and Chong…

1 Like

Somewhat surprising how freaking sharp their memories are!!!

really cool interview, but the intro is AWEFUL.

They now make some mp3 players that allow you to fast forward

1 Like

I would also recommend Maron’s podcast with Iggy Pop. It is #400.

His interview with Mel Brooks is one of the greatest interviews of anyone I’ve ever heard.

it’s been 21 years since I first heard it, and god knows how many since it was first recorded, but when they got to “Dave’s not here,” I was cackling with laughter.

humor aside, their life stories were incredibly interesting. I balked at the length of it, thinking I’d check it out until it got boring, but that never happened. good stuff.

• It’s like, groovy, far out, man.
  • ¡PENDEJO!

This isn’t the way they said it, but it’s how my brain stamped the memory, a mildly bilingual Abbott & Costello for the stoner generation. Like Abbott & Costello, a goofy hit-and-miss, but definite flashes of brilliance here and there.

For over a decade living in a bungalow right on the edge of town, some of my fondest memories involve my neighbor, a Greenland Eskimo who retired from being a sea ship’s #2 man (much like Star Trek’s Will Riker) and moved to warmer climates and life as a sculptor, right next door to me. In front of my wife and his beautiful blonde Canadian wife half his age, he told me in all earnestness - “If you have enough money, you can have as many wives as you want, and as many children as you want!”

Wonderful and generous man, his Inuit cultural wisdom made his just a touch larger than life, my wife and I loved him to pieces.

Anyway, what’s my point? First time my Arctic neighbors invited me to their home, I checked out the movie collection - everything ever done by Cheech and Chong, and NOTHING else. Which only builds to his legend in my mind.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.