Chelsea Manning faces new charges, indefinite solitary confinement, related to suicide attempt

In China or Russia, they would’ve just killed her. The U.S gov prefers to torture dissidents before they die.

2 Likes

If Obama doesn’t pardon Chelsea I’m going to tie his shoelaces together.

(And then guilt the hell out of him, it’s really hard to run away from somebody lecturing you with your shoelaces tied together)

I think that’s a lecture any decent human has the right to give.

12 Likes

They really hate her.

Goodness, yes. Pardoning doesn’t necessarily absolve her of guilt or remove her criminal record but her serving in prison literally does no public good.

4 Likes

I still think it’s highly unlikely - the War on Whistleblowers is one of the worst characteristics of Obama’s government

10 Likes

Hence the need for a good talking to.

I could send my mom, she’d probably make him cry.

6 Likes

What no Vodka?

2 Likes

Dehydration. Bad for the kidneys if you’re on lithium. Also, drinking alcohol while taking a heavy-duty antipsychotic (that’d be the clozapine) is the pharmaceutical equivalent to hitting yourself in the head with an iron brick.

6 Likes

Add a slice of lemon, and you’ll have a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster.

8 Likes

I agree.

If only there was a person in charge who had the authority to make significant changes in the military. Like some kind of, I don’t know, Commander-in-Chief.

4 Likes

Informed inaction is tacit agreement when matters of life and death are concerned.

2 Likes

I hope this sinks in to some people in authority…because you can’t be a good guy while okaying the torture of somebody EVER…the fact that it was somebody who gave us uncomfortable truths just makes it evil

2 Likes

Is this a reference to something?

Nope, it’s just a super heavy-duty anti-suicide cocktail. A chemical straitjacket. The pharmaceutical equivalent of martial law.

3 Likes

Excessive screaming and bleeding will be punished with more boot to the face.

1 Like

Worse than that, I think: it’s a reduction to a person’s ability to generate a personality via cognitive dampening.

I think that’s the right term, anyways. You know what I mean lol.

3 Likes

Lithium is a great drug if you suffer recurrent mania or (for some) blacker-than-black depression. Even clozapine has done a lot of good for people with otherwise intractable and insufferable psychosis. Imagine being haunted every waking hour by a voice—and I’m talking about an actual perceived voice, not the metaphorical one—that tells you that you’re worthless and should kill yourself and tells you how to kill yourself. Clozapine will shut those voices right the hell up. You’ll likely be emotionally blunted but you’ll be alive, which means you’ll likely be around when better treatments are developed.

Clozapine is a third-resort med for psychosis and about number eight or so in the queue of antipsychotics for treating acute psychotic features or agitated states. But if the U.S. government is cruel enough to put her in solitary, they’re most certainly cruel enough to jump that queue.

If responsible clinicians are supervising her, it’s most likely she’s on a combination of a second-gen AP like olanzapine, along with valproate and/or lithium, possibly an SSRI. Few if any of these would be necessary if they’d just treat her like a human fucking being.

8 Likes

But she’s not a human being, in their eyes. She’s the worst sort of criminal: a traitor. Because real people don’t do “evil” things like betray their country. And rather than bother to try to understand why someone might do something that they perceive as evil, they’d rather just recategorize them to something other than human. Easier that way.

2 Likes

And I suspect a callous few probably see her as crazy because really now, how can someone born male feel like they’re female? And now she’s attempted suicide? Lock 'er up, it’s what’s best for ‘her’ anyway.

2 Likes

I honestly want the people responsible for imprisoning and torturing her dead. There. I said it. I don’t want to live on this planet with people that are that cruel, and I sure as fuck don’t think they deserve to be the ones staying on it.

Im sorry you have enough experience to relate to her suffering. No trans people should have to worry about affording or being allowed their transition.