Chelsea Manning is missing

They’re busy trying to get Assange out of his embassy.

She is not “missing”. She is “out of contact” or “incommunicado”. Come on, Doctorow, you’re a more competent wordsmith than this.

7 Likes

18 Likes

Wouldn’t that be nice. I really wish there was the possibility for some good news here.

1 Like

land of the Flee !
home of the grave !!

3 Likes

I suppose we can just hope she’s doing her 7 days of solitary and that’s it.

1 Like

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

You can’t sign away your human rights.

18 Likes

missing (adj): not present or included when expected or supposed to be.

what was that you were saying?

10 Likes

I could edit the thread title to say “Chelsea Manning has been Disappeared”

That’d be accurate.

12 Likes

Her lawyers would surely have been notified.

3 Likes

If only we knew the kind of people who could promptly escape from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground.

5 Likes

I mean, not explicitly on paper, but you also “can’t” be wrongfully imprisoned, harassed, and murdered by police. The whole human rights thing is kind of nebulous in a state like the US.

5 Likes

BItter pill served with Trump’s fall.

You can if you join the army. That’s why they get untested vaccines used on them which they can’t refuse without being court martialed.

1 Like

You’ve been watching too many movies.

Besides which, anyone who cares enough about human rights and government accountability to want to rescue her, specifically, out of the thousands of unjustly-held prisoners in America, and is also competent enough to do so, is smart enough to realize that it would only hurt the cause that she fought for.

7 Likes

Unarresting only works before you are taken to a police station. Definitely not after you have gone to prison.

If she were to escape, all that would happen is that she would be shot by a guard or a cop, and we already know that there is an army of people ready to comment everywhere about how it was justified.

8 Likes

Unfortunately the Deceleration of Independence isn’t considered United States law, having predated it’s founding. As a practical legal matter, you can indeed sign away your human rights in the USA, even those enumerated in the first ten Constitutional Amendments knows as the Bill of Rights…and that’s before accounting for the modern prison state’s penchant for disregarding the US Constitution whenever it suits them.

As a matter of principle, you know I absolutely agree with you. As a matter of what actually happens in the so-called land of the free, you are very sadly incorrect.

10 Likes

I am so scared for her. I am also a transwoman, and have first-hand experience with what can be perpetrated upon one’s person by one’s jailer’s with zero consequences for the perpetrators, even with full knowledge of said actions by officers not directly involved but present, domestically. Since dear, brave Chelsea is in a military prison for men, one can only imagine the nightmare she is living through, If they in fact have allowed her to continue living. I also know first-hand what it is like to physically survive after abuse while being unjustly detained. Even though one’s body may survive, the heartbreak alone can still bring one to the brink of existence and remove any will to resist further abuses, and eventually even remove the will to breathe. I hope she is surviving, but even if she hasn’t, and by her own hand, I understand. All fatal injuries aren’t solely physical.

22 Likes

That’s presumptuous nonsense, I hardly watch any movies.

Ah, so I guess my seeing it differently is automatically invalid, since this categorizes me as “not smart enough”. Do be sure to talk at me again sometime!

Did you actually not understand what I meant by that? Let me rephrase: you appear to possess the naive belief that a lone hero (or perhaps a small group) can prevail over any foe, no matter how numerous or skilled or prepared, and with no negative consequences. This sort of silliness is commonly found in action movies. Assuming that you came up with it all on your own would actually be more insulting to you.

11 Likes