Chelsea Manning is missing

1. Do we have have a problem?

2. Can no one else help?

3. Can we find them?

2 Likes

Even if one is serving time for a crime they did commit, they certainly don’t deserve to be physically and sexually assaulted (have you heard about Ashley Diamond, that’s what happened to her - denied her hormone treatments and subjected to sexual assaults while in a mans prison in GA). Manning needs to be put into a woman’s prison and no longer be held in solitary. Bottom line.

And I too, hope she’s safe.

18 Likes

How do I “appear to believe” this when I did not indicate anything of the kind? In what way does [quote=“popobawa4u, post:18, topic:87015”]
Hoping some people were organized enough
[/quote]
automatically equate to naivete? It seems more like you are putting words in my mouth by stacking both sides of a fatalistic argument. No, I never claimed to “believe” anything. Why do you assume that I would be talking about one person or small group, and that the number and capabilities of the “foe” are “no matter”? If that’s what you think I mean by organized, then it is your naivete and you should own it.

That’s the problem here, it isn’t insulting to me, because this silliness is a product of your own projected reasoning.

Agreed. She should most certainly be treated appropriately by being allowed to live as herself in the relative safety of other women, without the expectation of further abuses.
Thanks for clueing me in about Ashley Diamond. Knowing how horribly transfolk get treated in society in general, and the regularity that transwomen are assaulted, sexually and otherwise, while incarcerated, makes Chelsea’s loss of contact seem even more harrowing. I do hope this topic will be updated as soon as contact has been reestablished.

9 Likes

Me too. And I hope sooner rather than later that Manning is recognize for the hero that she is.

11 Likes

At the same time, and at the risk of being Captain Obvious, one should never have to be a hero to be treated justly. I know that’s not what you were saying - even if I were inclined to read it that way, which I’m not, I know you far better than that - but I just thought someone should probably say it.

5 Likes

I did actually state that in my above statement regarding Ashley Diamond above, in my response to @cherishhellfire. Diamond committed the crime she as convicted of (and in fact plead guilty, I believe) which does not at all excuse the violence she was a victim of. Passing bad checks didn’t entitle the state of GA to throw her in a situation where she could be regularly sexual assaulted. Same for anyone in prison, actually. Committing a crime doesn’t make someone magically inhuman, of course.

13 Likes

Apologies. I read both, but did not connect the two threads of thought. My fault entirely.

6 Likes

I appreciate that, so thank you! No hard feelings at all!

6 Likes

You do realize, don’t you, that you’re quoting a high-minded piece of political propaganda written by a redheaded would-be anarchist and freethinker, that has no legal force whatsoever in American governance or jurisprudence?

Same with “pursuit of happiness.” Jeffersonian propaganda, embedded in a historical document with no legal force.

Yeah, I know. Maybe we can shame them into obeying their own oft-repeated ‘principles.’

Personally I haven’t seen much success with that in the past, so I don’t anticipate much in the future, but whonose, maybe I’m just being unduly pessimistic.

1 Like

If you’ve never had to deal with the U.S. criminal justice system, you are so, so, so better off. I had to help a relative deal with incarceration and that whole circus is run by hardened, cruel human beings at every step of the way. Their job is to mentally fuck you up, to continually remind you that you are no longer a human being, but rather you are a de-personalized thing with no rights. And they do not treat the families any better.

Constitutional rights are seen as a major inconvenience to the system. Sure you have the right to due process, a right to not self-incriminate, and the right to a “speedy” trial, etc. But they will do everything to delay, impede, hinder, and manipulate access to these rights – the cops, jailers, judges, prosecutors, etc. all know exactly what they are doing, and they take great glee in it.

Now imagine you’re in the military – you sign a huge contract which basically strips you of your humanity from day 1, and stamps you with a number. From then on, you are a “general issue” commodity – a can of beans or whatever, property of the U.S. government. Think you have rights? Nope. You commit a crime you are in shit far deeper than in the U.S. criminal justice system.

5 Likes

:confused:     

8 Likes

Okay, so I don’t have a future as a copy-editor! :hushed:

3 Likes

That’s one of the conversations I had with my partners when I started presenting as female more often – the fact that this does significantly increase the possibility of abuse by police in even a casual interaction. I’m genderqueer, and I almost never present as male these days, but usually androgyne or female. I’m well aware of the risk this places upon me, but have mostly accepted it. I still worry a bit more than I used to when I see a police cruiser on the highway and watch my driving just that much more to make sure I’m complying with the traffic laws.

10 Likes

Be brave, be smart, and be neighborly. The more people that know you, the more likely you will be missed if things go awry. This is the reality of our world right now. Doubly so if you are a qpoc or a qtpoc. (queer person of color, queer trans person of color)

4 Likes

I for one would be interested to hear you explain in more detail how you think a group of organised people might have broken her out of custody. It does seem to me to be unlikely to have happened. Do you have a clear idea of how it might have been done, or is your hope unsophisticated, and neglectful of pragmatism in favour of moral idealism?

3 Likes

Isolation is part of the punishment for speaking truth in militarized America

Was hoping for a positive update, but no such luck:

14 Likes

Would they?

I keep coming back to this thread waiting for news. It makes me sick that a state run institution can hold this person and all who care about her hostage like this.

10 Likes