Chicken parade protests proposed chicken limit

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/08/05/chicken-parade-protests-proposed-chicken-limit.html

5 Likes

A terrible decision. they really should have referred to Zongker et.al. before voting on this.

7 Likes
5 Likes

A chicken parade sounds awesome tbh.

Also:

2 Likes

7 Likes

After noise complaints, Des Moines, Iowa, decided to decrease the number of chickens that one is allowed to have within city limits from 30 to 12.

…vaguely aware that many cities have laws which amount to “OK, you may keep N chickens, but no roosters”, as a noise control effort. (for example Seattle) Shouldn’t that be sufficient?

6 Likes

I have a neighbor with chickens, ducks and a rooster. His property is 1/4 of an acre. he’s within his legal right, but that rooster crows every morning and I can occasionally smell all of them. It’s all a little close, and due to an old law that isn’t intended for townhome living. I don’t see why he needs them, he must smell it all the time. Fuck that rooster and his ducks.

Sounds like the city was trying to modernize a law like the one that pains me and a bunch of hicks decided to have a bird shit parade in protest. What a country.

3 Likes

That’s not a chicken license, it’s a dog license with the word ‘dog’ crossed out and ‘chicken’ written in in crayon.

7 Likes

My next-door neighbors keep a handful of backyard ducks. They definitely do some quacking, but I find it to be a kind of pleasant, conversational, sound.

4 Likes

11 Likes

That rooster is right tho :thinking:

9 Likes

Wow, 6 A.M.? When I was a kid, the neighbor’s rooster used to start sometime between 4 and 5 in the morning. :grimacing: It was dark, and to this day I have no idea what he could see that the rest of us could not. :woman_shrugging:t4:

Thanks to his lessons I’ve been woke and an early riser most of my life! :wink:

Wake Up Bb20 GIF by Big Brother

8 Likes

i hate chickens.
i especially hate the wild, feral street chickens that overrun the neighborhoods from here to key west.
nuisance animals, every last one! noisy, nasty and destructive to gardens and landscaping. the children in the neighborhood think they are soooo cute. they feed them and chase them around. oh! great fun! no. this year the population exploded by at least 30 new chicks that have all matured.
next year will be very difficult.
a chicken parade?! that is every damn day on this street!

4 Likes

The silly thing is that it doesn’t make sense to have a couple of chickens in the city. A guy I know tried to keep a handful of chickens, and math geek he was, kept track of all the costs and the number of eggs produced. I think the first year he was at $4 an egg and after that it was something like $2 an egg. This was a 15 years ago, I don’t think it will have gotten any better since.

50-30 years ago my grandma on a farm kept 30ish chickens and that kept them with enough eggs for a family of 4 + 2 to 4 farmhands. So if you want to have enough chickens to have enough eggs at all times you need a farm, otherwise they are just nuisance pets.

6 Likes

You should take revenge by eating more!

4 Likes

…and by having frequent non-Easter egg hunts!

1 Like

these cluckers are wiley AF and hide their nests very well. in all the years living here, we have collected fewer than 3 dozen eggs, here and there.
and @Grey_Devil , they are scrawny, too - and i see what they eat! no thanks on the chicken stew.

1 Like

Angry Chicken Run GIF by NETFLIX

4 Likes

vlcsnap-00001
{All the better b/c # of pleats in a chef’s toque reflect the # of ways an egg can be prepared (or so I am told)}

2 Likes

Eric the 'alf a chicken?

3 Likes