Child interrupts remote expert interview on BBC News

You see bottled rage, which could be, although I don’t hear it in his voice. I see more frustration and humiliation, because, “OH GOD I’M ON LIVE TV”.

The woman is definitely panicked, and may well be his wife and not a nanny. But the panic could as easily be because, “OH GOD ROBERT IS ON LIVE TV”.

But, either way, speculation based largely on whatever emotions we overlayed onto the otherwise short video clip.

ETA, This —/

10 Likes

Guy had a split second to decide whether he was going to go viral with a video of him pushing his kid around, or a video of him continuing the interview with his kid on his lap. I think he made the wrong call.

9 Likes

well, it’s clear that your definition of “pushing his kid around” and mine are pretty different, i’ll say that. i think his reaction was totally normal, considering the circumstances.

2 Likes

It looks like it was a professional news interview so putting the kid on his lap seems like the wrong style for the situation. I think he handled it poorly and should have put the kid in his lap anyway, but I gotta give him slack for the split second decision making he had to make.

7 Likes

Yeah, it’s a sad commentary on our world when a guy taking his own kid onto his lap would cause him to somehow lose face or credibilty, and that patriarchal gaze also explains a lot about the state of things.

9 Likes

From qz which has better video and slightly better audio.

But as a mother of two toddlers who works from home, I had several humbling realizations as I watched this clip again (and again and again). First, I was not actually appalled; I was belly laughing in sympathy, because I too am rarely the parent we all aspire to be. My responses to my children in tense moments are mostly unflattering and always in some way regrettable.
Second, work-life balance has come a long way in recent years, but our work culture often remains stuck in past eras, which makes moments like this all the more stressful. That’s partly because, in this internet-connected, globalized economy, we have to stay strapped to our phones and computers to get a seat at the table. And yet, we are still adhering to a 1950s-era standard of cultivating completely separate personal and professional personas.
Indeed, upon closer inspection of the video, we see the makings of this desperate act. What appears to be this worldly commentator’s home office is actually a bedroom, with a world map taped to the wall and books lined up across the bed. His children didn’t just interrupt his interview; they uncovered his professional ruse. And now those poor kids are condemned to a life of meme-dom.

8 Likes

I think North Korea is at the bottom of this.

4 Likes

You’ve never seen ’ Have I Got News for You’ have you? :wink:

[ETA: There are plenty of politicians who would like to exile Ian Hislop permanently, mind you. :wink:]

3 Likes

I apologize for my rudeness, but you all missed pointing out the BEST moment in this video…

:19 seconds, THAT SLIDE. she is sliding before she hits the camera frame if you watch her feet.
*edit to add
pure risky business.

4 Likes

Yes, that was good, but the heroic closure deserves the dedicated partner of the decade award.

7 Likes

The video is almost… Cyriakian.

i needed that laugh today. Thank you.

The best meme I’ve seen yet is the walk-in at 0:05 to 0:07 with the caption, “Walkin’ into tha club like…”

3 Likes

Ha! I hadn’t noticed that. My daughters would have definitely tried to talk over me.

1 Like

[quote=“Mister44, post:16, topic:96758”] I think they exile you or something.
[/quote]

He’s in Korea already; how much further away could exile be?

To clear up a few questions in this thread - that’s Robert E. Kelly, an associate professor of international relations at Pusan National University in South Korea, and the woman who dives in to get the children is his wife, Jung-a Kim.

12 Likes

3 Likes

The extensive analysis of this video continues :joy:

Some of my friends on Facebook pointed out that it kind of looks like mom’s pants are falling down; she probably tried to grab a bathroom break and the kids seized the opportunity to go see daddy. If so, she had another very good reason not to stand up!

5 Likes

A lot of it I would definitely characterize as concern driving trollies.

some of it is really vague, also and reptitive, and not very clear, and I’ve read a lot of the same interpretations here.