Childlike ghost caught on video and spotted by police in Ohio

Originally published at: Childlike ghost caught on video and spotted by police in Ohio | Boing Boing

6 Likes

How is this not an SNL skit of classic toothy, overenthusiastic morning show talking heads.

7 Likes

That’s… someone running around at night, alright. Likely some kid is sneaking out at night (and really trying not to get caught doing so), probably wanting to secretly meet up with friends they can’t otherwise see because of school closures and other covid restrictions.

I’m not sure how “running rather erect” is considered spooky, exactly. (It’d be creepy if someone was running who wasn’t erect, I’d say.) I’m amused by the thought that the cop made a halfhearted effort, at most, to find the runner (who seems to be moving at a good clip) and that caused a bunch of other people to have to put in effort deploying drones and searching the area for someone who was long gone.

14 Likes

Listening to lounge smooth jazz Muzak on hold with the postal service, watching that footage on mute still gave me chills.

4 Likes

Oh, please don’t make me demonstrate.

32 Likes

When I tried to watch this video in my feed it said “An error occurred”. Coincidence?

5 Likes

i’m so glad police drones are being used for critical operations like when a random person calls and says i might have seen some other random person running around outside at night.

seems like a waste of time and money if there isn’t some missing person or some crime report attached.

#defund?

4 Likes

Yes, no human child would ever run around in a silly manner.

14 Likes

Childlike ghost

You spelled “ghostlike child” wrong.

8 Likes

It’s a “trash panda”, I’m telling ya…

3 Likes

It sounds like the drone was only deployed because the cop thought they saw a kid running around. Not entirely unreasonable, for dealing with a young child wandering around at night, possibly lost. (Locally they like to deploy fucking helicopters when a kid goes wandering off, and I’d much, much prefer them using a drone.) But more than likely, by the time the drone was even deployed, the kid was safe inside somewhere, and the cops were hilariously chasing their own tails.

What people forget is that the way adults run is almost entirely learned - there’s no mechanical reason why people run in the stereotypical way that they do, with arms bent and pumping, and kids don’t initially run that way. I assume that “erect” in this case actually means “arms straight down by their sides,” which is apparently how kids instinctively run.

Safe inside it’s crypt!

5 Likes

If a child was later found missing, the dept would catch hell for letting the drone just sit there.

Probably counts towards necessary training too.

2 Likes

My money is lens flare of a moth or something that is out of frame but being brightly lit by a light close by or the street lamp. You don’t see any movement in the wide angle shot in the corner and the kinda choppy movement looks like wings flapping to me.

2 Likes

It’s a leprechaun!

1 Like

I was expecting (yet another) moth video, but watching it a few times, it really does look like someone running to me - the camera just appears to be crap, so it’s distorted. (It’s got a low frame rate, and doesn’t deal with low light all that well, either, especially for something beyond its focus.)

1 Like

All this time and no one has yet posted a picture of Casper the Friendly Ghost?

1 Like

Am I the only one who is a bit surprised/relieved that the police did not open fire on the child ghost? Or am I just too jaded at this point?

4 Likes

Maybe… It’s really hard to say. I watched it a few more times I’m still on the moth side of things because there are a few frames where the figure disappears in the bright section of the frame and I don’t see a shadow, but at the same time it does look to go behind the tree / street light. What I would really like to see a better picture of the place to get a better sense of the terrain, distance and scale. I would also like to know if this security camera is set to record when something gets close by or if it is constantly recording.

2 Likes

Responding to an Internal Affairs investigation, Officer Fife insists it was a ghost, and that he most certainly did not forget his bullet in his other shirt.

5 Likes