Footage of Dobby the house-elf from Harry Potter caught on home security cam video

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/10/footage-of-dobby-the-house-elf.html

6 Likes

I think I know that guy, we met in line at the weed dispensary.

19 Likes

Looks like Dobby was having a little firewhisky nightcap on his way home.

14 Likes

It’s a raccoon. Every weird thing at night is a raccoon.

30 Likes

I’d guess a different kind of razor is involved here…

19 Likes

Given that they stop the video before it turns back around and comes back, I am going with a skinny kid being a goof ball. Something I know nothing about, but have seen on TV and in books…

13 Likes

Too skinny for a trash panda; possum, maybe.

2 Likes

43 Likes

issa marionette

8 Likes

it’s gotta be Mac. gotta be.

6 Likes

Me too! Maybe they’re brothers? :rofl:

3 Likes

But in all seriousness, this is most likely a Pepper’s Ghost projection sorta like how AR glasses work. All the hoaxer had to do is mount a phone/tablet under the security cam with a cd case or other piece of clear plastic pointed at a 45 degree angle and play a video of ‘Dobby’ running around. The car is likely also a part of the projected video so it can fake the reflection of ‘Dobby’ running past that car. Plus this Pepper’s Ghost effect does a really poor job with reflecting dark colors and sometimes exasperate bright, glowing colors which would explain Dobby’s weird glow in that video.

At around :25 you can see how something like that would work in a much larger scale without impeding against the background. There are some limitations to this method (mainly a limited viewing angle) which is one of the reasons why it wasn’t attempted with the two other security cams.

9 Likes

Looks remarkably like the descriptions of “The Dover Demon.”

4 Likes

Sounds good except Pepper’s Ghost is purely additive; it’s not going to add shadows to the environment.

2 Likes

But it can add light. Plus shadows are made from the absence of light. It’s easy to fake a spotlight illusion.

1 Like

The original Facebook account it was posted to looks legit, otherwise I would guess it was a promotion for the upcoming Harry Potter Wizards Unite mobile game.

1 Like

It’s also obvious how the light gradient changes the further naturally-occurring objects are from the light source, but “Dobby” is still as brilliant as ever, no matter how far away. Hoax.

5 Likes

at around 8 or 9 seconds there are strangely two of them…

9 Likes

You’re right, a raccoon or a possum. They’re responsible for all nighttime shenanigans.

3 Likes

Nice catch. I thought I saw something, but I didn’t really believe it until you showed the screenshot.

On the plus side, the shadows and reflection in the car all seem legitimate, but the fact that Dobby is a single shade of white that doesn’t fade as he moves or show curves as the light changes is deeply, deeply suspicious. Someone worked hard on this, though.

4 Likes