Chinese scientists are making human-monkey hybrid embryos

For a second I thought that was a typo for Bonobo.

1 Like

I understand that they prefer the term, “Humonks”.

@BakaNeko
dog

1 Like

Source article to emphasize I have too much faith in humanity and keep getting let down.

4 Likes

I forgot to add: This is what happens when New Jersey funds your research.

1 Like

I read that as human-monkey hybrid employees.

But many asses?

1 Like

Have you noticed that China has been trying to keep its population down for the last few decades? They’re not going to be creating a whole new work force from vats any time soon.

Maybe the Chinese are superfans of the movie “Freaked”. I’ll be certain when they patent Zygrot-24…

1 Like

Why are human lives so much more important, let alone yours?

That tends to reinforce my dark side speculation, but (sticking with the dark side) consider that Humanzees may not be likely to complain about tainted/contaminated land/water/air or living conditions or corrupt province/city leaders or about the lack of certain freedoms. For those with supreme and state power, people have proven troublesome so far (and potentially explosive).

A crime against nature and cinema both.

1 Like

Hey now I enjoyed both of those movies.

1 Like

OK, but I still can’t get past the premise presented in The Island that clones only produce viable donor organs when they’re raised in an environment that provides them with ample Aquafina drinking water, Puma athletic wear and Xbox entertainment consoles.

I mean, these guys are literally human livestock who have no free agency or working knowledge of the outside world. So why waste so much money buying them branded products and filling the clone facility with corporate logos? Can’t they just drink tap water?

4 Likes

Kardashian livers sell better than Wal-Mart Cashier livers?

That movie is terrible for many, many reasons.

3 Likes

Surely a rich diet produces the best foie gras.

2 Likes

In interesting point - we are supposed to “eat the rich”, but the reality is I bet the poor taste much better.

1 Like

Couple of points pertain:

1. Are there cheaper, potentially less risky ways to get to the same research objectives? Always. Alternative forms of immunosuppression, trained tolerance through donor vaccines or adoptive regulatory immune cell transfer, and different ways of making new organs are all being explored as well. They’ll bear fruit eventually, just as this approach may. Given the complexity of the systems under study, it’s premature to say that one approach will work better or more universally than another.

2. This particular field is not constrained to human-monkey hybrids or China. There’s work at the Salk Institute in human-pig hybrids and UC-Davis in human-sheep hybrids. This work is trying to find alternative, compatible sources of organs for transplant into humans, because bio-printing is so much in its infancy that it may turn out to be cheaper and better to grow those organs in a separate animal than to try to make them from scratch without the native interactions with all the other organ systems.

3. Another application of this work being elided is to improve the success rates, and complexity, of genetic modification of primate embryos. While some Chinese scientists have reported successful gene edits in human embryos (never implanted), He Jiankui went ahead and edited babies that were born to term. This was widely regarded as a bad and unethical idea. Trying to edit more human embryos and then study the lifetime safety of that procedure by having women bear them to term is a much longer, more expensive, and unethical experiment than working with human-monkey hybrids.

1 Like

Silly question. I’m living my life. No one else can do it for me, so yeah, I’m going to be attached to its continuity.

1 Like

This entire thread and there ain’t no “Edward?”…

I paused the movie and seriously contemplated the fucked uped-ness of this whole scene.

1 Like

Did you enjoy the matrix tho?