Chris Christie is about to launch his bid for president

12 Likes

:person_shrugging: I guess he’s calculated that despite all of his corruption and baggage, he still has a chance against a twice-impeached serial rapist.

8 Likes

One assumes that their goal is to do well enough to get picked as a running mate. But the next question is why? The vice presidency is not the stepping stone to the presidency that it once was. The last sitting vice president elected to the presidency was George Bush Senior. Of course considering Trump’s age and health, perhaps the hope is to become president when he dies in office.

8 Likes

“Giant Meteor makes guest appearance at Republican National Convention” perhaps? Sorry, Milwaukee.

7 Likes

Um…Current President Biden would like a word with you…

12 Likes

I think they’re right though. Was Biden Trump’s VP?

GWHB wouldn’t be the last vice president to be president, but he was the last sitting vice president to be president, his term was back to back to his VP term.

Edit: Had the wrong middle initial, thanks for the correction @IronEdithKidd

4 Likes

One of the great pathologies of wanting to be President is you are literally never too old to try. I mean, most adults at some point have to come to terms with the fact that they can be happy and not have been an astronaut or a billionaire or a major league baseball player or a rock star or a famous actor. You’ve aged out, or your talent just isn’t quite there, or you got injured or whatever. Growing up is, in no small part, accepting this.

But President? If you once held a statewide office (and probably some not statewide offices) there’s a certain crowd that has to be telling themselves “it’s not too late!”

Sounds like a terrible, terrible curse to think that.

8 Likes

Several former VP’s have been elected President without becoming President through the death of the boss. Adams, Jefferson, Van Buren, Nixon, GHW Bush, Biden, but Nixon and Biden didn’t get the job right after the boss.

3 Likes

No. That was Mike Pence. Biden was Obama’s vp.

3 Likes

Uh yeah? That’s why Biden wasn’t the last siting VP to be president.

4 Likes

I think he sees all the financial and criminal impunity / opportunity we’ve baked into the process, even for those just running for office who aren’t elected, and probably can’t bring himself to leave that money and power on the table.

4 Likes

A candidate that only the NYT is clamoring for. MagHabs swoons.

7 Likes

Nimble is a bit of imagery in Christie’s case

2 Likes

On the other hand, cracks about Christie’s weight probably won’t be the centerpiece of why he’s an awful person.

3 Likes

Yeah, not a fan of the fat shaming part, but didn’t have time to change it to repugnant.

3 Likes

What has Christie done that rises to the offense of unelectable? We got a supposed front-runner in Trumple that is as vile a human ever (EVER!) to grace a toilet. It’s gonna end up being about his weight. Anyone butt Trump I cheekily say!

2 Likes

(sorry, I thought this thread could use a bit of comic relief.)

7 Likes

Aside from what’s been mentioned in this thread already, here are some summaries:

and so on and so on.

10 Likes

I think the question is still valid though. The point of reference is Trump.

In a just world, any one of the things listed would make him unelectable. In this timeline, most of those barely register.

6 Likes

“Chris Christie is about to launch his bid for president”

For some reason I pictured projectile vomiting when I read that sentence.

3 Likes