Christian pastor damns "Barbie" movie without having seen it

“What this film needs is less Ken and more G.I. Joe!”

5 Likes

From the trailer though the movie is about parodying that and contrasting it with the real world. Barbie might be more comfortable not wearing heels!

And honestly, we know the movie has a female lead, made by a female with a female audience in mind. Unless it goes straight to television and said lead gives up her high-paying job for some small town man, that’s probably already too many flags for this pastor.

13 Likes

the movie was made and is being released. that’s god’s judgement.

5 Likes

One of them is, apparently, a surreal, A-24 style take on Barney. Yes, the purple dinosaur. I’m equal parts intrigued and horrified.

7 Likes
9 Likes

season 5 GIF

4 Likes

Dismissing a film on religious grounds without watching or understanding it?

The more things change, the more they stay the same:

13 Likes
8 Likes

Yeah I saw that. That’s where my comment came from.

1 Like

It’s a different news source than what you responded to, so I had no idea you’d seen the specifics already. Sorry to waste your time.

3 Likes

You didn’t. And now others can read it because you linked to it, which I should have to begin with. Thanks.

6 Likes

quite the opposite, really- It’s a BAD idea.

There’s also the Third commandment which came to mind: “Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.”(Exodus 20:7, King James Version)

I can name others, there’s quite a few scripture verses that all amount to “don’t use my name to cause harm or wish harm upon a person”, but I think we all get the point here. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

People who try to prevent others from enjoying media they don’t approve of typically fall into one of two groups:

1. Ignorant assholes who want to ban media they’ve never even seen, read or listened to
  2. Hypocritical assholes who think they should be able to watch, read or listen to media but don’t think you should be able to
12 Likes

10 Likes

I suppose, out of the hundreds of different dolls, there are a bunch of “Barbies” based on real people, a few of whom who weren’t cis-het (including a Laverne Cox doll), but somehow I don’t think he’s responding to that.

I did just see an article talking about how “gay” the Barbie trailers have been (i.e. embodying a particular campy, queer sensibility). And the barbie notion of femininity in the real world could perhaps best be described as “female drag queen.” Now I’m wondering if the right-wing assumption that underlies all the school censorship about issues of sexuality and gender (i.e. that only non-cis-het people possess sexuality or gender) is effectively symmetrical. That is, if anything that makes one think about gender or gender roles therefore must be queer. (Is this yet another case of right-wingers declaring that heterosexuality is actually gay?)

7 Likes

Hate-fellows make strange Venn diagrams

7 Likes

Old Ken Xmas ought to be grateful for us LGBTQ folks because if we weren’t around how would he make a living. He damn sure doesn’t preach about anything good or positive. He’d be out of business without somebody to hate on. The good new of jeezus is that there are us queers to hate on so the xians don’t have to think about their own sinful shit.

6 Likes

I suspect it’s more that they can’t think of gender and sexuality without automatically thinking of fucking - those folks sexualise everything - whereas most human relationships are about shared interests, respect and cooperation.

15 Likes

They automatically think of fucking…And they think fucking is bad?

7 Likes

Barbie may need legal representation…

13 Likes