CNN's new boss tells staff not to say "Big Lie" when referring to Trump's Big Lie

How about calling it Trump’s Major Lie Since 2020? To differentiate it from his Major Birther Lie, that CNN helped him propagate with minimal pushback, as they found unabashed racism was good for ratings?

4 Likes

“Trump’s criminal sedition”

11 Likes

This guy was the showrunner for The Tonight Show for four years with Colbert. When he left Colbert spent a good 10 minutes extolling how much he loved this guy and thought he would be awesome for CNN. So what the hell, Chris? Because Colbert would never have stood for this crap.

17 Likes

I’d go for “Trump’s imaginary victory” or “treasonous request for insurrection”.

6 Likes

There’s no way someone in the newsroom didn’t explain the actual coinage of the term to Licht. This is yet another attempt by CNN’s senior management not to risk offending conservatives by speaking the truth, a deliberately missed opportunity to educate their audience.

12 Likes

Gee, don’t the Democrats also use the term “Climate Change”? Better if we call that, “Sultry Weather”

4 Likes

I think Jon Stewart clarified that: “We’re not news, we’re a comedy show that comes on after a sock monkey”.

1 Like

“Trump election lie” or “election lies.”

I mean, the above terms are no less visceral.

Big Lie isn’t that great because it is too non-specific (the election? 1984? Nazi Germany?) Even “Trump’s Big Lie” is no good: which one?!

Of course, now what happens if the Democrats should themselves adopt “Trump’s Election Lies”?

1 Like

Aw, we're "just" a comedy show. Don't base any of your political beliefs nor inform yourselves on any issues based on little old us...

It was the height of disingenuousness when Stewart said it then. Some people’s only news is SNL Weekend Update and Daily Show. No, they aren’t “news”, but they aren’t “just a comedy show.”

2 Likes

I have to say, of the two words “big” and “lie”, “big” is not the one I have any investment in.

1 Like

Lol, nice.

Huh? You have that exactly backwards. Stewart was being extremely sincere and transparent by saying that. He didn’t want people to get their news from his show. He was trying to make the point that real news needs to be real news and people shouldn’t lose sight of what shows like his are.

Otherwise you end up with Fox And Friends and Tucker Carlson, which are literally a propaganda arm of a corporation that people treat as news because those shows want you to think they are (until challenged in court, where they suddenly become “entertainment”). Same with things like InfoWars- they seek the veneer of journalism without any of the ethics or rigor. That is the height of disingenuousness.

19 Likes

Then make it specific. It’s not like CNN doesn’t have staff who can explain a a terms’s origin and usage in a clear and concise manner.

4 Likes

How about using UK Parliamentary speak and calling it “The Outrageous Teminological Inexactitude”? That would take the mickey, if anything could.

9 Likes

Alas, this assumes an education level painfully lacking in evidence.

4 Likes

At this point, it’s well established what people mean when they say by the Big Lie in this context. We KNOW it relates to the coup and the cover up. It’s not a big mystery. Yes, he lied about many other things, but THIS big lie is discussed in CONTEXT and people can figure out what they mean from that.

It already is specific. :woman_shrugging:

9 Likes

You think it’s obvious, but I’ve met conservatives who believe the “Big Lie” is equivalent to the “stolen election”. If you only get news from one side, the branded terms don’t mean as much. If they stop using the term, they should spell it out repeatedly, EVERY TIME IT GETS MENTIONED - and that might just be more effective. Sometimes, a catchphrase is too easy to simply tune out.

1 Like

With all due respect, can we stop acting like the right wing media is “news”… say all you want about the corporate “liberal” media, which has it’s own real problems that need fixing, but at this point, there is no reason to watch Fox, etc, because they have gone full on fascist at this point.

Again, no one is saying “the big lie” and not defining it (among reputable outlets, at least - again, let’s stop pretending the Fox is real news anymore). It’s said within a particular context each time. :woman_shrugging:

10 Likes

I do think more context is best, and “trumps’ election lie” has more information to it than “Big Lie”, which could be anything.

2 Likes

Call it what you will but call it what it is.

57e41c08-0fee-416e-b784-27bb9998131b_text

5 Likes