Cockfighting rooster kills owner with knife

Well, getting hit in the heart with anything tends to be generally deadly, but also would be a freak occurrence - which getting killed by a rooster isn’t so much, apparently. The wounds made by the blades in question are nasty enough to kill after being hit in a variety of bodily locations. I just imagined the wounds would be shallow enough to allow the victim to live long enough to get medical attention, but apparently not.

Oh, I’ve seen it, too. I’ve watched my chickens hunt and kill mice, and seen the scars a (regular, unarmed) rooster left on my uncle. It’s just that a rooster doesn’t have the strength or the leverage provided by a human arm, and humans aren’t as successful at stabbing each other to death as you might think. I’m not at all surprised that people get seriously injured - and that must be much, much more common than people actually dying. I suspect I’m not underestimating the force so much as how often the rooster is managing to get solid hits in.

There’s the occasional, semi-serious, proposal to genetically engineer “dinosaur” chickens (with teeth and claws, and people laugh at me when I suggest this would not be cute but actually somewhat dangerous to human beings, but…

*E.g.

7 Likes

Have they not seen Jurassic Park with those cute little dinosaurs who eat the guy that borks the security systems? Has modern media taught us nothing?? Did Magna Carta die in vain?!!!?

9 Likes

Don’t worry about Dino Chickens - we already have killer birds. The talons on the stout bony legs of Ostriches, Emus and the shorter Cassowary will kill when they deliver a kick to the right spot. Could easily rip your guts out. They may be flightless birds but nothing messes with them. Here’s a pic of the lovely Cassowary.
Cass

But worse, consider the terror wrought by these Ostriches:

OSTRICH KICKS A WOMAN TO DEATH IN SOUTH AFRICA

CHICAGO TRIBUNE
December 29, 1997

An ostrich kicked a 63-year-old woman to death on a farm outside Cape Town, South Africa, and seriously injured her husband, police said.

Abraham Hendriks, 65, incapacitated from his injuries, watched helplessly while his wife, Ouma, was kicked and stomped on for an hour on an ostrich farm in Joostenbergvlakte, about 25 miles from Cape Town.

“Ouma was seriously injured and I was almost helpless,” Hendriks was quoted as saying in Monday’s edition of the Johnannesburg paper The Star. “I used my last bit of strength to drag her under the shade of a nearby bush.”

Hendriks managed to flag down help after the ostrich left. The couple was taken to a hospital, where Mrs. Hendriks died.

The attack occurred when the couple, who lived on an adjacent farm, walked through an ostrich herd on the Lekkerwater farm on their way to visit friends last Monday, police spokesman Wicus Holtzhausen said.

I recall this story - apparently, they were kicked in the head and body repeatedly and tried to play dead until the birds walked some distance away but when they made a movement the birds raced back and continued kicking the shit out of them.

Also: How Dangerous Are Cassowaries, Really? - Scientific American Blog Network

8 Likes

Look, when I fill my volcanic island lair with genetically-resurrected dinosaurs I’m going to hire quality IT professionals and pay them decently. Among other things.

6 Likes

Alas, see Steve Irwin. :sleepy:

1 Like

So we acknowledge Hammond is the true villain of Jurassic Park. His frugality and inability to adequately address labor issues killed everyone there for three films straight.

7 Likes

That evil lords list had my vote on number 7, I’ll say, “No.” and shoot him. No, on second thought I’ll shoot him then say “No.”

Back on topic, little prick kills cock handler.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Life by the cock, die by the cock.

2 Likes

If I remember correctly he was more obviously an antagonist in the original Crichton novel and eaten by something-or-another at the end.

3 Likes

The malevolent mad scientist theme was made explicit in the last 2 “reboot” films. BD Wong’s Dr. Wu becomes an outright villain and states themes which were in the book but never given onscreen (They didn’t want realistic dinosaurs, they wanted dinosaurs people were familiar with)

4 Likes

I read the headline to my BF, who approved and said he hopes the rooster won’t be put down. I told him I hope he won’t end up as

caribbean-dreams-cock-soup

I have to admit that I never got around to seeing the last couple of movies (or even reading Crichton’s sequel, for that matter). Looking at IMDB they were reviewed better than I realized, though, so maybe I will.

2 Likes

Yup!

(posts must be at least 5 characters, “yup!” is only 4)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.