Code Pink activist laughed at Jeff Sessions, now faces a year in prison

Laugh all you want. Do it on the capital steps, out front of their house on a public street, whatever. However, in the Senate? No. Act with decorum and behave yourself, or be ejected.

2 Likes

I keep thinking of the clapping in Belarus.

4 Likes

We put those assholes there. We pay their salaries and the upkeep of that building. It’s ours. fuck their codes of conduct when they refuse to listen to us.

23 Likes

So, they didn’t convict her for laughing, but for challenging the idea that she should leave? That’s worse.

And grounds for appeal, you’re spot on there.

17 Likes

15 Likes

If I were a better citizen, I would start hanging around the local courthouse on jury summons days, handing out pamphlets explaining jury nullification.

10 Likes

It might be excessive?

I heard the audio. It was a brief outburst, more than a simple spontaneous gasp or laugh. She was shocked that the speaker had said something so stupid. It wasn’t any more disruptive than someone coughing.

Are you for real? The appropriate consequence would have been something like an officer of some kind approaching her and saying, “Ma’am, I’m going to have to ask you to be quiet while the hearing is in session.” And maybe he could have glowered at her a bit.

25 Likes

Yes, she was and is. If it’s not “The Handmaid’s Tale,” it’s environmental degradation via the MaddAdam trilogy. Time for all of us to don the red robes as did the brave ladies at the Texas legislature: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/03/21/texas_women_gathered_dressed_as_characters_from_the_handmaid_s_tale_to_protest.html:

17 Likes

To quote a famous American solon*:

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

* Scoffing is allowed

21 Likes

Ejection is one thing, prison time is another.

23 Likes

True… ejections seems like it would have been sufficient. The prosecution seems unnecessarily punitive.

9 Likes

And by “Solon,” I think you mean “Turtleman.”

She was warned. Nevertheless she persisted.

10 Likes

What will be the final straw that breaks the US citizens back, what outrageousness needs to perpetrated against a person to get us as a Nation to act?

Personal inconvenience

7 Likes

Nuh-uh:

#Hunger.

The masses at large ain’t really hungry yet, so they ain’t really angry… yet.

11 Likes

I think you’re vastly overestimating the public’s ability to be sensible.

2 Likes

Didn’t something like this happen with Pussy Riot and Putin a little while back?

5 Likes

SOMEONE has to find that audio, loop it, and upload it as reaction.gif!

Oh. Wait.
Is there a video?

2 Likes

Yeah, want this very much.

2 Likes

Me an’ my clutch o’ Apple Snail and Cleared Transit Raptor eggs over here, laughing our cheery laugh. Re-workshopping pointing gestures after the news deadpanned a summary of something c.f. yes, Margaret Atwood. Putting joke books about outsize smokers next to joke books about full-session voting rules. That AMA is resourceful!

9 Likes