Coen Brothers reuniting on mystery film project after five years working apart

Originally published at: Coen Brothers reuniting on mystery film project after five years working apart | Boing Boing

5 Likes

The Coen’s wrote the screenplay for To the White Sea back in 1998. Here we are 25 years later…probably not going to happen.

I found it online though…https://indiegroundfilms.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/to-the-white-sea-aug-13-98.pdf

2 Likes

IMG_2420

6 Likes

Honestly, I’ll watch any damn thing they make. They have remarkably few misfires and even those had their moments and were still better than 90% of the contemporaneous drivel.

ETA: Ok, upon review, they have exactly one misfire.

6 Likes

I had to check IMDb to confirm that it really has been five years since The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. My how time flies.

7 Likes

I really hope you don’t mean The Big Lebowski!

3 Likes

I thought the Ladykillers was a dud. Not sure which one you had in mind

I’m happy for the Coen brother’s success, but

7 Likes

anniversary celebrate GIF

:point_down::point_down::point_down:

It was Ladykillers, dude.

8 Likes

9 Likes

Hey, I did say it had its moments!

5 Likes

Hail, Caesar! was, by the standards the Coen Brothers set, a dud to me as well. But I wouldn’t call it a bad movie. Just weak compared to most of their work.

6 Likes

o-brother-where-art-thou-oh-brother

7 Likes

Phew!

1 Like

I didn’t love Burn After Reading the first time but on subsequent viewings it really grew on me. I liked Blood Simple but I don’t really think it holds up.

Honestly it’s sort of unfathomable how prolific they have been and how strong their body of work is.

6 Likes

I dunno, if anyone could do something interesting with a Disney remake I’d imagine the Coen brothers could. I’m not saying I want such a thing to be made, but I can envision a world in which such a thing would be watchable.

1 Like

Am embarrassment of riches really.

I took a screenwriting class/workshop thing in ‘00 and the instructor didn’t think much of them, screenplay-wise. They always end in a deus ex machina he would say. I could see his point but it doesn’t bother me much, because its usually in the comedies.

Personally I love the dark ones like Miller’s Crossing and Barton Fink.

2 Likes

Forget about remaking a Disney classic that everyone loves already. They should give the Coen brothers a 200-million-dollar-budget to do a remake of The Million Dollar Duck or one of the lesser Herbie movies just to see what they come up with.

ETA: Now that I think of it I could honestly see the Coen Brothers doing an R-rated remake of The Apple Dumping Gang.

2 Likes

tumblr_c7e27c6790d11dddc54020575f53d0df_6c6973eb_400

2 Likes

Didn’t they do The Hudsucker Proxy? I thought that was a dud, couldn’t finish it.

I’m a big fan – Lebowski and Fargo would probably be on my top 25 film list – but I was also disappointed by A Serious Man and Inside Llewellyn Davis.

3 Likes

They’ve had their share of hits and misses. Burn After Reading and The Man Who Wasn’t There are underrated gems, while The Ladykillers was a total dud.

I really liked A Serious Man, though. Then again, I love absurdist morality plays.

2 Likes