Colbert's spot-on "America: Endgame" animated openers for his convention coverage

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/30/colberts-spot-on-america.html

3 Likes

ABC/Ipsos Poll says Trump’s national approval dropped to 31% from 32% immediately after the RNC (within the margin of error, of course).

Notably, among Republicans it dropped four points.

Biden’s approval rating improved from 45% to 46% (also within the margin of error), and was at 40% before the DNC.

Of course this is two months before the election, and doesn’t translate into votes, nor does it measure what it happening in key states for the Electoral College, or any possible effects of voter supression. The possibilty for churn is still very high.

It hints, however that the convention didn’t do much for Trump.

Trump got a minor bump in the polls after the 2016 RNC, actually taking a lead over Clinton, which she regained after the DNC, which was held second that year. The percent of decided voters was much lower in 2016 – when Clinton took the post-convention lead that year, she had the backing of only 43% of voters, while Biden is polling at 50% or slightly higher.

7 Likes

Don’t forget, the only reason that Thanos was able to snap his fingers is because Star Lord lost his head and assumed it was all taken care of. In other words, GTFO the vote and assume we’re in for global apocalypse until trump is frog-marched out of the White House in chains.

13 Likes

Trump as Thanos… he wants to kill half the US population? Actually, that checks out (though it’s a more than half).

9 Likes

Trump supporters will show up NO MATTER WHAT.

Biden supporters will show up, meh.

I really hope I’m wrong since if we’re in for 4 more years of Trump/Pence/McConnell/Barr America is gone. It’s already on a life-line until Nov.

8 Likes

This I want to see, definitely.

7 Likes

It will be full on crazy from trump till election day – but realize we won’t have definitive results on election night, and there will be something between Uncertainty & Certain but not Official winner until the counting is done. So between Nov 3rd and Dec when the College meets trump will unleash his full crazy “they are stealing the election from me right now”. If the nation is going to blow up with crazy trump gun-men attacking election offices it will be during this interlude. Beware.

4 Likes

I’m in a blue state, so I know it won’t make a lot of difference, but I’ve been making sure anyone I can talk to that can vote has already ordered their mail in ballot. One of my team members is working as a poll worker in Wisconsin. I sincerely hope it is a massive blowout for Biden so that it IS decided that night. All the people complaining and protesting need to go to a ballot box and vote. If they do, we can begin to fix the country. If people don’t vote, the crazies will win because they absolutely are going to vote.

2 Likes

Me too. But realize it won’t matter, because results still won’t be official until the counting is done, and trump will leverage this situation to raise discord and create chaos he believes will empower him to steal the election.

If this interval remains peaceful we will have been very lucky.

4 Likes

Maybe this time Ant-Man will take one for the team and do the “destroy Thanos from the inside” move.

7 Likes

Considering he’s still disputing the election he won, he of course won’t go quietly.

I have hopes that what is left of the Republican party can find at least one set of balls amongst all of them and tell him to get stuffed. Because if he continues to dispute it, and the election cannot be certified, he’s still not the President on Jan 20th at 12:01pm - it’s whoever is the oldest person of the dominant party in the Senate. Right now, more Republicans are up for election than Democrats, so that means that (again, assuming the election is 100% uncertified) the Democrats as the larger sitting party get to pick a President Pro Tempore and they become the President.

The only way he’s President still is if he wins. Every other situation means he is not.

1 Like

That image of the disappearing mailboxes was genuinely chilling.

6 Likes

Yes. Remember how stung he was by losing the popular vote. There is no one in politics deserves who deserves more stings, so each individual vote, whether it has strategic value for your state or not, will hurt him. Even if your state is “uncontested” red or blue, vote, to hurt this man.

7 Likes

it’s whoever is the oldest person of the dominant party in the Senate. Right now, more Republicans are up for election than Democrats, so that means that (again, assuming the election is 100% uncertified) the Democrats as the larger sitting party get to pick a President Pro Tempore and they become the President.

This would be very, very ugly.

1 Like

Excellent point. One of my deepest fantasies is being at the White House when he is taken out by Biden’s Secret Service and howling with laughter. It is a 100% petty and vindictive fantasy and I don’t give a fuck.

4 Likes

I’ll take it a step further.

I’d love to be there, pelting him with rotting cabbage and copies of “art of the deal” I’ve used to wipe my ass with.

In a line of people doing the same thing for miles, marched right out of Washington, on the ground, all the way to Maralago.

A man can dream.

1 Like

I mean, it is much closer than Florida and you saw how he handled that ramp.

1 Like

Ugly, but actual law. Regardless of SC leanings, it’s literal, clear, spelled out law.

Doesn’t mean I want it to happen.

You’ve got all your facts entirely off, sorry. The Speaker of the House of Representatives is second in line of succession behind the Vice President. Nancy Pelosi would be the President until whatever changeover weirdness was resolved, and President Pro Tempore of the Senate would be one rung below her in succession. Seniority also has nothing to do with age (it refers to time in elected service) or who the PPT of the Senate is (it traditionally goes to the longest-serving member, but that is by no means a rule as it’s an elected position).

1 Like

There is some hope though! Trump is doing his best to kill off a large part of his base and prevent a large part of his (surviving) base from voting by mail! So, there’s that.