Colorado governor pardons "Balloon Boy" parents

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/24/colorado-governor-pardons-balloon-boy-parents.html

5 Likes

I wish the interview had actually interviewed the young man, rather than his father. I don’t think too highly of the dad. It’d be interesting to see how the kid has grown up with this in his background. It seems growing up with that father is much more hazardous than any balloon ride would be.

2 Likes

After Balloon Boy a friend and I made this Whale Boy 911 call.

Did they get a pardon for naming the kid “Falcon?”

That’s low-level child abuse to me.

5 Likes

Why would anyone with even a precursory understanding of the force required to lift a child aloft think that this mylar silliness could carry any weight at all? There is very clearly no child inside that balloon.

1 Like

Hmmm I looked it up. One weather balloon can lift 2kg to 38km of altitude. So 10 balloons will lift 20kg. Doesn’t seem entirely impossible.

2 Likes

Richard Henne’s “stick on a wall”. Order yours today…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obw3HUTLEQ4

1 Like

In all fairness there’s plenty of reason to believe the family weren’t complicit in this.

The guilty plea was largely based on a 6 year old Falcon Heene saying “we did it for the show” (while the family were regularly doing things for shows) and a “confession” of Heene’s wife, Mayumi, whom spoke fairly broken English at the time and was debatably taken advantage of by the Larimer County Police Department.

Considering his wife’s Japanese heritage and current immigration status it’s been argued that Richard Heene only confessed to the hoax as it was the only way to save his own wife from deportation as a result of her “confession”.

It’s certainly worth looking into more than just the general consensus and this recent pardon suggests it wasn’t so much a hoax as it initially seemed.

5 Likes

Maybe an homage to the great Apple II game “Falcons”? (Itself an homage/ripoff of the arcade game Phoenix)

1 Like

edit: LOL that was way too angry for Christmas.

Let’s just say I disagree.

Welcome to our community!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.