Comedian Charlamagne to Ron DeSantis: "What the f*ck is up with those boots, bro?" (video)

Originally published at: Comedian Charlamagne to Ron DeSantis: "What the f*ck is up with those boots, bro?" (video) | Boing Boing

6 Likes

gove_is_idiot

8 Likes

Baby Lol GIF by MOODMAN

7 Likes

Charlemagne is an asshole too; broken clock syndrome.

10 Likes

It is occasionally amusing to see them at each other’s throats, however.

1 Like

Napoleon was 5’6, so average height. The whole concept of him being a tiny angry man was English propaganda to embarrass and ridicule Napoleon (also due to the French having a measurement system that was different from what everyone else was using, in the French system he was 5’2 if i recall)

9 Likes

" continues to lose stature"
I see what you did there

3 Likes

Eh…

The whole ‘short man complex’ may have not started with Napoleon, but it is a thing.

A misogynistic society like ours affords more respect to men than women, and it affords more respect to taller men than it does shorter ones.

There’s a reason why DeSantis and 45 are so concerned about appearing taller than they actually are.

And then the whole construct even transcends gender; as a petite female who was shorter than most of my elementary class, I often got picked on for being short, among other things - phrases like ‘runt of the litter’ were often used.

Lastly, if height bias wasn’t a thing, Little People wouldn’t be called as such, nor would any distinction be made for them.

10 Likes

Who wore it better?

screen-shot-2022-10-05-at-10.30.46-am-307x289

12 Likes

Governor, might I recommend. . .

6 Likes

Read this last night. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

So why is it only the Repubs who are wearing lifts? It’s because they are so steeped in the misogyny that they can’t see a way out except to play along.

Sad, really.

10 Likes

Fuck if I know?

What I do know is that one’s height and a lack of physical stature is an issue, at least in America.

9 Likes

Getting society to look past height as a measure of character seems like a tall order.

5 Likes

I’d like to see Napoleon’s height stated in contemporary literature in metric, rather than the current debate about what version of foot they were using . Put an end to the argument!

7 Likes

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

4 Likes

That would be somewhat difficult because while the metric system had been promulgated in the 1790s, it hadn’t really caught on for everyday applications like measuring people’s height. Napoleon himself wasn’t a great fan of the metric system and had introduced a compromise approach for the retail industry, the mesures usuelles, which defined one foot as one sixth of 2 metres, or 33.3… cm (as opposed to the traditional French “royal foot” of 32.48 cm, or the 30.48cm imperial foot). The measurements we have of Napoleon all do seem to come in various flavours of feet and inches.

Apart from the obvious British-propaganda angle of trying to make Napoleon dwarfish compared to the likes of British king George III. (who was famously depicted by Gillray as the king of Brobdingnag, the country of giants in Swift’s Gulliver’s Travels, with Napoleon as a tiny Gulliver), the idea of Napoleon as a short person may have been reinforced by the fact that his bodyguards were selected for height, so Napoleon standing next to a bunch of elite Guard soldiers would indeed look short(ish). Actually at around 1.7m he would have been noticeably taller than the 1.62m of the median French military recruit in 1835.

6 Likes

… same reasons they try to cheat in other ways?

They don’t respect the process, they don’t care about the integrity of the institutions, they’re just trying to win by any means necessary

They’ll be accusing Biden of wearing lifts soon :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

In the French system he would have been 1.6 metres. Everybody uses the French system now.

1 Like

We don’t though

" Mesures usuelles (French pronunciation: [məzyʁ yzɥɛl], customary measurements) were a French system of measurement introduced by Napoleon I in 1812 to act as compromise between the metric system and traditional measurements."

Napoleon’s decree was eventually revoked during the reign of Louis Philippe by the loi du 4 juillet 1837 (law of 4 July 1837), which took effect on 1 January 1840, and reinstated the original metric system.

1 Like