Comic book-style gesture messaging for video conferencing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/16/comic-book-style-gesture-messa.html

2 Likes

4 Likes

This is interesting. So many of the gestures confused me. In most of my conferences, people nod their heads to say yes and turn their heads from side to side for no. Alternate meanings for the gestures used were:

Raised hand = I have a question/comment (people wave for Hello/Goodbye)
Thumbs up = Good/Awesome
Raised Fist = Unity/Support/Power to the People
Raised Finger = Wait a second/Be Right Back
Devil horns = Various
Fingers in a V = Peace (or Victory)

Some of my conferences include people from different countries, which can be a potential minefield when it comes to hand gestures. One of these days, I need to expand beyond American Sign Language and learn ISL.

2 Likes

I foresee a huge market for hand-holdable cartoon-balloon signs to convey distinct messages. Signs will say:

• WELCOME
  • GOODBYE
  • LUNCHTIME
  • FUCK OFF
  • I FARTED
  • BLATHER
  • YAWNING
  • REVOLUTION
4 Likes

a) I love this idea.
b) There’s no way I’m letting the Snap Inc. corporation run a custom webcam driver on my work machine.

2 Likes

How do you add this to Snapcam for windows? The link goes to a page with a QR code for mobile Snapchat. And searching for Meeting Gestures within the Snapcam application yields nothing.

This is certainly all well and good for those using laptops or devices wherein they have admin rights and can control the loading of soft/hardware and effect what the application uses.

For the rest of us…read that as MOST OF US…who are using corporate equipment that restricts such administrative rights…yeah, this is the cutesy design house bullshit we get annoyed by.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.