Commercial for Bugle Boy, New Wave-commodifying mall clothes from the 1980s

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/28/commercial-for-bugle-boy-new.html

7 Likes

Get off my lawn little fella’.
We used to pull out the seams at the bottom of our Levis to make them look more as if they were flared.

6 Likes

That was so unbelievably '80s that I could almost believe it was a parody.

My pleading for Bugle Boy shirts and Member’s Only jackets went unheeded as well. I think the only 80s trend my parents finally gave in on was to get me a Coca-Cola rugby shirt.

13 Likes

The closest I got was a pair of knock-off parachute pants.

Dad, he did you a favor there.

4 Likes

This is the stupid 80s Bugle Boy commercial I remember:

I got the Member’s Only jacket after a lot of begging. I got about 11 months of wear out of it before it went out of style and count myself lucky I got that much.

12 Likes

That choreography screams “Paula Abdul.” She was influential on the music video dance floor.

10 Likes

I got one from a clearance sale when I needed a jacket. It became actually cool or totally nerdy (either way is a win in my book) when my girlfriend of the time painted a dragon on the back of it.

13 Likes

When was in the 10-13 age crowd, it seemed like a lot of other kids got to wear clothes with logos/images/advertising on them. Except me. My parents weren’t that engaged in pop culture, didn’t really know what they were doing when, in fifth grade, they bought me my first t-shirt with logos/images/advertising on it. It was a shirt with some kind of Olympia Beer imagery on it. Yeah, for fifth grade. From nerd to coolest kid in class, all at once.

No members only jackets here. I was old enough to have to afford my own, but I didn’t want to. I was more with the Levis denim with the red/black plaid liner. But in high school, my folks wouldn’t go for a pair of Colorados. Remember those? Who used to wear 'em?

7 Likes

That’s exactly what my college years were like.

3 Likes

The look has changed a bit but Bulge Boy is still around

2 Likes

Yikes; that takes me back.

8 Likes

New Wave-commodifying mall clothes

Wait, wasn’t New Wave just commodification of Malcolm McLaren’s commodification of NY punk styles? Honestly, there’s so much going on here I don’t know if you can narrow it down to one genre.

5 Likes

I got a members only jacket in gray right before school started. I felt so cool. I’m pretty sure it went out of fashion before the year ended.

I vaguely recall being on or near the school bus later that year. Some bullies were picking on a nerdy kid wearing the same jacket I had. He made a run for it and the neck strap came out of the neck loops that held it in place. This resulted in the neck strap extending directly backward from the back of the nerdy kids neck. It fluttered in the wind. One of the larger bullies grabbed it and planted his feet to stop the kid dog leash style. The next day I decided to go to school without a coat.

Ahhhh the good 'ole day’s /s

8 Likes

But did he have any Grey Poupon?

4 Likes

Yeah, so… I worked at Contempo Casuals for most of my high school years. 80’s mall life was like so rad and like totally awesome.

7 Likes

Damn, I just realized I still have my members only jacket in a closet.

9 Likes

Now you can wear it ironically.

11 Likes

“We don’t make clothes… we make dork plating!

3 Likes

I don’t know what’s more disturbing; that I still have a crushed velvet ‘body’ dress from MGR in my closet, or that I can still fit it with no problem.

7 Likes

Never heard of Merry Go Round. We’re they better or worse than Chess King?

4 Likes