Communion wafers in Lunchables form

I would imagine these would be really useful for bringing the sacrament to prisoners. Prisons are usually very strict about what can be brought in, but these might not be too hard to get approved. But using them in a congregation would be awful.

3 Likes

When Magic The Gathering started bringing out random booster packs, it occurred to me that there could be a market for one-use Tarot Spreads.

3 Likes

According to catholic teaching, that is not true: transsubstantiation happens when the hosts are consecrated.

The word ā€œsubstanceā€ is defined to mean a things ā€œessenceā€ in and of itself, which, by definition, cannot be perceived by the senses. Transsubstantiation is not claimed to change any of the ā€œoutward appearancesā€ (which, by definition, include anything that could possibly be measured or otherwise perceived by our senses). You could also say that substance is defined to be that which changes during consecration in a catholic mass.

As an atheist, I have to say that this particular piece of catholic doctrine is so circular that I cannot even disbelieve it. This belief is sufficiently immunized against rational analysis that there wonā€™t be a reason for the Vatican to change its stance anytime soon.

2 Likes

Jeepers, communion wafers (or the frames around them, purportedly leftover from manufacturing) have been available in grocery stores or convenience stores in French Canada since the 1980s. (Google Translated in English)

And from comments in blogs Iā€™ve perused, theyā€™re also common everyday snacks in some parts of South America.

4 Likes

Iā€™m sort of disappointed that this hasnā€™t gotten the Amazon review treatment yet.

3 Likes

These have been around for years. Iā€™ve always called them ā€œCommunion-ablesā€. Browsing the online religion supply shops is always good for a chuckle.

2 Likes

As someone raised as a Baptist, I have to say it kind of weirded me out when I realized that our communion was symbolic cannibalism. And when Catholic friends tried to explain the whole Transubstantiation thing to me ā€¦ yeah, never mind.

2 Likes

Iā€™m guessing that the ā€œindividually wrappedā€ thing is a relatively new ā€œinnovationā€.

But Iā€™ve been a devout agnostic for a while, so itā€™s possible that I just hadnā€™t heard about it until now.

Does the Eucharist violate the 6th law of Noah? What if itā€™s only symbolic?

For Catholics it has to be wine for communion, grape juice, no matter how good, wonā€™t cut it. And since the True Presence of Jesusā€™ Body and Blood in the Eucharist is a core belief of Catholicism since the beginning, I donā€™t think it will be changing anytime soon.

Whatā€™s funny is from inside Christianity there are all these discussions and effort spent in defining ones beliefs especially in reference to another Christian sects beliefs (or heresies, see Early Christian Heresies by Joan Oā€™Grady ), but I am guessing from outside we all look roughly the same. If only we all could remember that the next time any of us makes a blanket statement about a group.

3 Likes

Also speaking as an atheist I can find one huge flaw: all the waste created.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s certainly how it worked for relics. And indulgences.

1 Like

The Last Supper was a Passover seder, hence the wine, unleavened bread, and long discussion about religion. As long as you look at it from the right angle (celebration of freedom rather than celebration of mass infanticide), itā€™s a pretty great holiday; rather neat and forward thinking in itā€™s own way.

I was thinking that it would be used for patients in hospitals or people who are bedridden and cannot leave the house to attend mass.

1 Like

Jesus could save peopleā€™s lives with a water > wine > blood transubstantiation if his blood can be used for transfusions. It would be even easier if he could do blood > plasma + red blood cells + platelets transubstantiation as well.

2 Likes

To help prevent the spread of Ebola.

These would be perfect for when youā€™re hosting a party.

A Passover seder, and then the next day Jesus was crucified on Passover? Something doesnā€™t add up hereā€¦

Jewish holidays start at sundown, so it works fine.

Especially an arian christian of the 4th century (Arianism =/= Aryanism !). The whole ā€œson of godā€-thing (nicene creed ) becoming the dominant belief at the end of the 4th century is where it started to get complicated.

2 Likes