Company president's note in employees' paychecks: if Biden wins, "permanent layoffs" may be coming

Damn that Biden and his plans to kill the…aerospace industry? Huh?

This seems to be much less a threat than an excuse. No, it wasn’t my shitty management that led to layoffs, it was because Biden got elected! I told you.

18 Likes

A quick look at their website seems to indicate that they’re a privately held company.

Which is a shame, because if they were publicly listed I’d love to see their yearly report’s investor advice on why a Biden presidency is a threat to them. Especially as what’s published in those has to be true, or you risk all kinds of lawsuit hell.

But let’s be honest, this is just a business owner admiring the tinpot dictator that he wishes he could be…

21 Likes

Yeah but if Biden wins we’ll have a communist state where everyone is guaranteed a job!

/s

13 Likes

Unfortunately it has been tried, and history has proven time and time again that if you try and base laws on moral integrity, it ends in knives, blood and fire. You have to have a system that is dry, complex, and numbingly nuanced so it doesn’t turn into a tool for the powerful. I know you’ll think it already is a tool for the powerful, but please trust me when I say it has been much, much worse in the past.

8 Likes

I seem to recall reading about business owners urging people to vote against Obama for similar reasons. But if being wrong were an impediment to these people they wouldn’t think this way in… well, I guess the second place since being wrong once about something is something everybody does.

2 Likes

Has it?

Um. Okay. :roll_eyes: I do know something about history, but maybe you know more, I dunno.

Also, I have to say, “it’s been worse in the past” is no excuse to not improve now. Our legal system, built on white male supremacy, needs to be overhauled completely, as the constant ongoing extrajudicial lynchings still happening on a regular basis, and people who are part of the elite class constantly getting away with various crimes. These are expected outcomes. Until we overhaul our systems to be based on justice instead of empowering the elite class, we will continue to have these outcomes.

33 Likes

As a small business owner, Biden can’t get elected fast enough. We need certainty and a lot more PPP money.

15 Likes

Funny, they are still arresting the protesters who throw rocks and bottles near police…

21 Likes

What would that look like as a practical matter? A judge decides that something isn’t technically illegal, but you’re punished for doing it because they decide it’s against the spirit of the law, if not the letter?

Agreed on the larger point, but I’m not sure I agree that a legal system that relied less on what the law said than the court’s interpretation of its spirit to determine the law moves us in that direction.

8 Likes

Yeah, I have a feeling that would just mean people whose cases should have been kicked out because they weren’t initially read their rights or some other technicality have their cases go ahead.

Never trust the system to do the right thing. :confused:

6 Likes

Wait, Trump wants to stop the killing of cows?? That’s it. I was all aboard, but now I am joining Meat Eaters for Biden!!! We have to stop the PETA-President!

5 Likes

“However, if Biden and the Democrats win, DMC could be forced to begin permanent layoffs beginning in late 2020 and/or early 2021.”

I’d rather be laid off than laid out, as many more will be if 45 wins another term.

9 Likes

He could’ve hung on to that $139k he gave to a “billionaire” and use it to save the job or two he plans to cut.

13 Likes

MAVA?

6 Likes

Throwing a weasel word into a letter intended to intimidate your workers doesn’t reverse or negate the intimidation.

25 Likes

Could it be they are really just obscuring the fact that because of trump thousands of workers have already been laid off because of trump’s stupid tarif war, inept policies or his tragic incompetence dealing with the pandemic?

18 Likes

It’s still a threat to fire people for not “voting correctly.” This really is back to the “good old days” before we had unions and worker protections on issues like this.

Yes. Ultimately, they want him to “bring back” a pre-New Deal America, where workers had no rights, all women (working or not) had even less, and everything was brutally segregated.

27 Likes

I think there is a miscommunication, because I don’t have any opinion on whether this letter actually violates any law or not. It might.

I was commenting more broadly on the statement that “we really need a legal system that is based on the spirit of the law rather than technicalities.” I think that’s a difficult argument to make.

“Technicalities” are tools workers can use to protect their interests under the law.

2 Likes
22 Likes

This is very interesting history! Thanks!

15 Likes