Confusing, stomach turning headline via the Daily Mail

I agree, there is no need for this site to proliferate this kind of nonsense. It may be a curiosity, but not worth giving the daily mail any more clicks.

5 Likes

Well, this is the country ( southern USA songwriting) which gave us the Waitress song

Not Austrian, if it was in the 30s. Probably German, if after 1932.

But I’ll note that Hitler looks as if he he was pestered by a creepy stalker.

1 Like

@Jim_Kirk: A purity ball or abstinence ball is a product that is promoted as a substitute for sexual education. Producers of purity balls usually make pseudoscientific claims about how these balls work and exaggerate the extent of their benefits. The product is often sold in houses of worship or by participants in multilevel marketing schemes (ed: redundant?). While many people report that these balls work, the results are similar to or less effective than preventing teenage pregnancy by pretending teenage sex doesn’t happen at all.

17 Likes

I don’t know… every time I started thinking “balls” I came up with a whole other set of images.

1 Like

I pictured some kind of silver or gold ball, tied shut with a fancy ribbon. This is not that, at all.

Or maybe a pokeball? Virginity! I choose you!

8 Likes

Remember, this is The Daily Fail. Controversy of the day, even if they have to invent it. You can’t get overly torqued about a Mail article, but they are sometimes fun.

1 Like

Virginity used celibacy against Reality.

It’s not very effective.

22 Likes

Chick-Fil-A sponsors Daddy-Daughter Date Nights at irregular intervals, complete with table service, reservations, and suggested activities.

Unsurprisingly, there is no Mommy-Son Date Night.

It’s not quite as screamingly squickworthy as a Purity Ball… but it’s on the same road.

6 Likes

+1 Deer

9 Likes

I’m thinking that the teenage mind is easily capable of interpreting this such that with the virginity offloaded to the father the daughter is free to have sex without wrecking it, then gets it back later.

So it’s really a win win win… (father, daughter, boyfriends…).

11 Likes

Pretty much every smoker in my high school had signed a non-smoking pledge. There was no verification that you wouldn’t smoke and when you signed up, the organization that was running it sent you a check for $10 and a bunch of unintentionally ironic anti-smoking stickers the kids would put on their school books as a badge of pride. Plus if you signed up ten other students, they’d send you another $10.

The whole thing was totally worthless when it came to getting students to actually not smoke but I’m sure that didn’t stop the organization from making press releases where they bragged about the thousands and thousands of teens they got to “not smoke”. No doubt these balls will be just about as effective at controlling behavior. Wonder if the Palin family signed up.

7 Likes

My home town had more religious schools than ‘regular’ schools, and we had a strong fundamentalist faction alongside some of the other more dramatic forms of Christian belief. Pure whitebread jesus town, my family stood out for not participating.

The things people would get into a fever about. One of them was sex education. In Grade 8 I had an amazing teacher who gave us a very thorough and informative, 3 month long sex ed program. Only a few of us were allowed to attend (most parents preferred their kids stay ignorant), and she was actually let go at the end of the year because of the parent outrage.

Fast forward 3-4 short years and a truly immense number of my fellow high school students were parents. Literally dozens seemed to pop each month. It turns out that not telling teens about sex doesn’t actually prevent them from trying it.

13 Likes

Genesis 19:31-36?

I was a preacher’s kid. I don’t think many of them are actually going to follow through on the promise.

Make daddy happy, but do as you please, as long as you don’t get caught.

3 Likes

As others have said: This may be a thing, but it ain’t “sweeping”, especially not present tense. (And personally I have no doubt that the writers intended all the double-entendres and innuendos.)

1 Like

Nice Godwin. Very smooth.

2 Likes

Sadly, that’s not all that much different than the headline ABC News used for the same article last week.

1 Like

If I remember my college years correctly, these are the girls who turn into freaks after they get out of the house.

4 Likes

With so many clumsy puns, I am not sure exactly what activity is being reported or exactly what part is “stomach turning”. As nearly as I can figure out, it is a story about a Mexican custom called Quinceanera which has been revived in many US states.