Confusing, stomach turning headline via the Daily Mail

Is it still Godwin’s law when the subject wrote letters to and visited Hitler up until two months before WW2, wrote about how wonderful he was in his newspaper and advised people to join the British Union of Fascists?

I suppose it could be an auto-Godwin.

Also:

6 Likes

Eh, I don’t know; at least I figured out that the ABC News story was about some sort of dance, and not some sort of, er, thing the kid gives Dad as a reminder that Daddy’s Little Princess has a fully-functional hooha but promises not to use it with a boy.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyle/2014/03/daughters-pledge-to-preserve-their-virginity-at-purity-balls/

I could be wrong, but I don’t think this is a widespread thing. At least, I don’t know of it being a big deal in my corner of the Bible Belt. Well, my corner of the Bible Belt is in the ass-end of Illinois, where schools have sex ed. TBH, the notion of having a child to support, along with all the diseases that are sexually transmitted, were a LOT more of a deterrent than the poorly-defined notion of Hell.

EDIT: And then I read a feminist critique from the university down the road, which might be more sensationalist and stomach-churning than the Daily Fail. http://opensiuc.lib.siu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1067&context=kaleidoscope

I’m actually surprised it’s not a bigger deal around here, because the number of pregnant homecoming and prom queens around here is astounding, as are the number of bible-thumpers who opt their kids out of Sex Ed.

Is it really, though? I thought the Quinceanera was a celebration of transitioning from childhood to womanhood, while the Purity Ball was a promise to remain pure. The parties sound vaguely similar, though.

3 Likes

Yeah it is a real thing and has been going on for a long long time now. Some unintended consequences are a rise in STD rates from using another orifice. So yeah. But these two women made a wonderful song about it. NSFW.

7 Likes

Baal is pleased.

4 Likes

Really? What would make you think the whole idea is not creepy?

1 Like

No, it isn’t. It really, really isn’t.

2 Likes

In this case they didn’t invent it, but they’re certainly making it seem like a widespread cultural phenomenon that it really isn’t. And the headline is a hilarious mess.

1 Like

I would usually say yes. But in this case the story is creepy as hell even for the Daily Mail.

And yes it is totally creepy. The fact is that child rape and all sorts of sexual abuse are rampant in orthodox and ultra-religious factions of pretty much every religion. The Catholic priests are just the tip of the iceberg. It has been a huge issue in the NYC Hassidic community recently.

The whole point of the exercise is to put women firmly under the patriarchal control of their fathers and then their husbands. It is a total BDSM power trip. And don’t imagine that all those girls are necessarily on board. Taking a purity pledge is like joining the Communist party or pledging allegiance to the flag: Its just an empty pledge that is demanded as the price of not being ostracized for refusing.

This isn’t just a strong warning sign that the kids are at risk of child abuse, it is a form of child abuse.

3 Likes

Actually, an HBO documentary about the subject aired a month or so ago. As stated above, the event takes place in Colorado Springs and many of the attendees are also families that choose to home school their children based on Christian beliefs. The wives appear to be complaint, like their daughters, to their husband and provider. The people that sponsors these balls are rolling in dough - books, classroom aids and of course, the piece de resistance, The Purity Ball. Watching the documentary, I was creeped out by the pseudo sexual undertones exhibited as these young girls declared their purity to their dads and then danced. At the very best these balls might be perceived as cotillions (a social introduction of a young lady into society) or at the very worse, an unexamined over reach by fathers to bind their daughters to them sexually - in other words - a gateway to accepted pedophilia.

1 Like

Amaze balls?

1 Like

“Haas been revived”? Never went away, not where I live. This is different for many reasons, not the least of which is the age of these girls. They don’t appear to be 15 to me. Quinceanera is a coming of age ceremony, like a bat mitzvah. This is more of a re-sheltering ceremony.

4 Likes

#PurityBalls

2 Likes

Benoit?

2 Likes

WORKS SALVATION!

I mean, even if they have almost the same policies, you can’t compare a true theocracy which leads people to true faith and salvation with a false theocracy which leads people to false idols and damnation, can you? … now which is which?

I believe that everyone will be saved, awiliudo GþA meinamma þairh I X saei ist nasjands aillaize manne, but if I believed that only some people will be saved, and others hopelessly damned, I don’t know what that would do to my sense of right and wrong.

The opposite of coming out balls? Balls, which judging by the documentary Las Marthas, are weird in and of themselves.

Revolt balls.

1 Like

I think it is worth pointing out to our American readers that the Daily Mail is the most right wing daily newspaper in the UK, to the right of the Conservative party itself. Getting denounced by the DM is like Fox accusing you of being stupid.

Also has anyone else spotted that all the victims of yet another example of Christian paedophilia are all white ?

Suck on my… purity balls…

And also, man, being depicted as some ignorant backwoods hellhole by the Daily Mail is pretty depressing. Eh, if the purity ring fits. It only gets creepier, Daily Mail. But I was under the impression this kind of stuff was right up their alley? So I’m a bit surprised by the harsh judgement here.

Yeah, cause who cares what happens to girls who are stupid or have stupid parents! Hell yeah!