Confusing, stomach turning headline via the Daily Mail

Please BoingBoing editors take note of this comment!

4 Likes

No, it’s just a plain old patriarchal power trip. Nothing SSC or RACK about this.

2 Likes

…Until you remember that hating the members if every other religions is one of the most fun aspects of fundaloonie-ism.

1 Like

The participant, one would hope, view this as a fun bit of father/daughter bonding and a reinforcement of their views on sex-before marriage.

I guess those of us outside of this social circle can use this as useful exercise in seeing things from someone else’s point of view. This, to me just sounds wrong and potentially abusive. I know little about their culture and they seem odd to me. This might what a gay partnership might look like to fundamentalist Christians.

the dad’s take ‘em and hang’ em off the back of their trucks

1 Like

“We just found out about a two-decade-old phenomenon” = “totally new social trend!!”

1 Like

I don’t think this is a Quinceanera equivalent any more than it is a Bat Mitzvah equivalent. Same age range, but only one of the three has god or her father mentioned as a stand-in for a suitor.

1 Like

Sounds like many of Cory’s posts!

1 Like

Isn’t there a strong correlation between Pokemon and virginity?

1 Like

That’s a bit OTT - it’s basically an attempt to reinforce the relationship between fathers and daughters in order to protect them from a society that is seen as overly sexualized. It’s probably attended by the same crowd as those attending promise keeper rallies (which also seems to be quite prominent in Colorado). In the same vein, it seems to be strongly evangelical in its focus on outward declarations of commitment, embarrassing substitutes for secular events and a good helping of the current cult of masculinity in the evangelical church.

A lot of what takes it from pretty average social conservatism to creepiness is the same as what makes evangelicalism weird to outsiders: they adopt so much of secular western culture while maintaining values that are so foreign to it, and they loudly affirm and centralize aspects of their religion that other Christians quietly accept or downplay. The father or male relative ‘giving the bride away’ is a common part of a wedding (as is the promise to love and obey the husband in many traditional weddings), but most people don’t attach that much significance to it. Fathers dancing with their daughters is also not completely unknown in western culture, nor is going on a ‘date night’ (although it would generally be a lot less formal than this). Public declarations of commitment to Christian norms are common in Christianity: adult baptism and weddings are two obvious examples, but many evangelical churches would have them most weeks. This kind of overt display seems to be an attempt to publicly reinforce a cultural norm that is challenged in the wider culture, by using the very evangelical focus on public declarations (that are seen to have a kind of spiritual significance of their own, close to what the Eucharist would have in other branches of Christianity). Promise keepers would have similar ideas: public commitments to faithfulness in marriage or abstinence until marriage.

On a different level, it’s probably just an alternative to prom if you’re not allowed to date until you’re a few years older.

2 Likes

D. both are false.

(see they even have that in common! :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

What did they say when the got to the ball? cough gag choke

The joke is better told with hand motions, but this was the only video i could find.

3 Likes

Uh… what? huh? were you thinking the first two paragraphs were serious? I thought the third paragraph would give them context.

Both groups believe that their religion will bring eternal salvation and other religions will bring eternal damnation.

Both groups believe they’re very different from the other, because their religion will bring eternal salvation and other religions will bring eternal damnation.

So they won’t get along.

Because each group believes their religion will bring eternal salvation and any other religion will bring eternal damnation, there’s the tendency to think that anything, anything at all, which spreads their religion or stops other religions is justified. infinitely justified.

SSC = Superconducting Super Collider?

I have no idea what you mean.

1 Like

With headlines like that, I can see why this prank is gaining traction…

i cant help it! I hear Beavis in my head - saying “heh heh heh BALLS”

1 Like

People with an interest in BDSM don’t really want to be accused of sexual assault, but the grey area (rape fantasies, etc) can invite frisson. So, rather than face legal trouble, they’ve developed various protocols that differentiate the kink from the crime. They don’t always work as intended.

Risk Aware Consensual Kink: RACK
Safe Sane and Consensual

2 Likes

Just as I thought the fact that I continued the joke and added a smiley face would give context that I understand the joke.

Yeah, I fully understand that. If you actually want to address this seriously this is a much more complex question then most people realize, Christianity/Judaism/Islam all believe in the same God. They all trace back to Abraham and believe in the same god, where they differ is their idea of the prophet of god. The Christian bible was originally not in English, it was written in Hebrew and Aramaic, and yes in the Aramaic portions of the christian bible god is referred to Allah which is Aramaic for god. Similarly Jehovah Witnesses, and Mormons believe in the same god as the above three groups. Jehovah is the latinization of the Hebrew word Yahweh, which is Hebrew for god. They all originate from the same parent religion. In all these religions the requirement for salvation according to their scriptures is solely the belief in the one true god, so technically all pass. In practice they’ve all grafted “rules” not based strictly on their scriptures, but rather fundamentalist reinterpretations, that differentiate their requirements for salvation, like a special prayer or extra rules you must follow. Even among Christians, many sects believe the others aren’t bound for heaven, like southern baptists don’t think Catholics or many of the other christian groups are “saved”. So really, yeah they should get along if they stopped and bothered to understand their own belief systems.

But of course it is all nonsense and mythology made up to describe that which we couldn’t understand before we had the abilities of science to provide actual answers to the fundamental questions of things like the origins of life and the universe etc. Some people claim that these religions still provide a good moral code, but I can’t see how as they all contain some pretty abhorable moral stuff within their pages and the good stuff really isn’t that great.

Personally, I choose to understand the universe through science and for morals I use the simple rule, “be good to other people” and try to have empathy and compassion for my fellow humans, seems to do the trick for me. I let other people choose whatever works for them. Cheers.

2 Likes

The way the headline is written makes it sound like incest, which always gets plenty of clicks from the tabloid audience.

1 Like

Ah, I wasn’t saying it was legit BDSM. Its the sort of sicko fantasy that people get into when they are repressed. The Catholic church tried to repress their sexual urges and ended up with a crisis of rapist priests.