Congressman Trent Franks [R-AZ] resigns amidst accusations that he pressured his female staff to bear his children as surrogate mothers

I find your final example to be one of hypocrisy more than irony.

And though I get what you’re saying, I think your story of your sister doesn’t work. She’s pro-choice. She should be allowed not to consider adopting, without judgment, IMO. Franks is pro-birth; he should back up his convictions by adopting rather than surrogacy. Again, IMO.

I’m sticking with my original statement, and defend my use of “ironic.”

2 Likes

You’re not wrong. I know plenty of conservative Christians, and as a liberal Christian myself, have witnessed their – some of them, not all of them, in fairness – hypocrisy, judgment, and moral equivocation firsthand over the years. That’s why it doesn’t surprise me. It deeply saddens me, but no longer surprises me.

2 Likes

I think if one wanted to use Franks’ religion against him one could reason that his wife being unable to have a child normally is God commanding that he have no children, and that by him getting a surrogate he is going against His will. I don’t know if this is something that would sound reasonable to other religious people, i don’t practice so…

1 Like

You can stand by it all you like…you’re just plain old wrong.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/ironic

Read it. understand the meaning. My example of my sister was NOT an example of irony…it was one illustrating exactly what you are trying to declare as irony.

The example I gave about him opposing abortion as he does and expressly seeking the abortion of a woman he sexually assaulted and impregnated IS irony.

Hypocrisy is by definition irony. It is behavior antithetical to the beliefs or what is expected. Hypocrisy is in relation to the persons action, irony is the situation surrounding those actions. A Pastor who preaches against adultery and cheats on his wife is a hypocrite AND the circumstances are ironic.

Like I said…by all means stand by the improper use of the word if you so desire. Have a nice day.

Empty seats are filled with special elections, that’s the only constitutional way that I know of. He probably has a safely gerrymandered seat, though.

1 Like

Is it? How so? (Genuinely interested.)

Is it necessary to have a derailing conversation that is off topic?

Hypocrisy: the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one’s own behavior does not conform; pretense.

Irony: a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.

You would expect that someone who claims high morals would act in such a manner…when they do not they are by definition a hypocrite and the situation is by definition ironic.

I am not engaging in this further (I do see you added the genuinely interested) on the thread. If you want to discuss more, feel free to DM me. Its off topic and too easily troll bait.

Simple answer is this guy’s actions are not hypocritical for wanting surrogacy and is anti-abortion. Those are not related to one another.

Maybe his views on rape and pregnancy are founded on his own experiences…
Suppose the only way he has sex is by raping his wife yet bears him no children.

I’ve read a little bit more about Franks, and apparently he did try to adopt a couple of times, and failed, so my original argument is admittedly moot.

However, if a hypothetical man literally works to make abortion illegal, but chooses surrogacy over adoption, I find that to be a fine example of irony.

Your sister’s story contains zero irony or hypocrisy. You are right about that.

I’m having a fine day. I sincerely hope you’re having a nice day too. It’s been snowing here in the south, and looks just lovely outside.

There’s actually a good, messy Biblical story of surrogacy that has, at best, mixed messages, in Genesis 16.

1 Like

Hm. I’m curious, would you mind linking?

Sure. Here it is in the New International Version (a good modern translation):

Abram later in Genesis is renamed Abraham by God, and Sarai, Sarah. By some theologians’ reckoning, Ishmael, Abram’s son by Hagar, is a progenitor of the prophet Muhammed, and thus of Islam:

1 Like

Nice! i’ll read this when i’m off work in an hour or so.

1 Like

I’d like to brag that “Beauty is Inside” is an old high school friend of mine.

I have to be impressed in a small way. It takes genuine talent to find an abuse of the less powerful that would make Paul Ryan squeamish.

1 Like

Not appropriate, but its done. Most donations come from family members, and not because genetics (you can bump a recipient up the top of the list by donating to the “donor pool”). There is no law against a literal dependent doing this.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.