Congressperson admits he only works for himself

Time to revive the ancient Greek practice of “ostracon”. (Casting names on shards of pottery, for a vote, to exile someone for ten years. Often used against Forum senators.)

8 Likes

Neither does his salary. Regardless of how much he paid in taxes previously, no amount changes the fact that the people elected and pay him to represent them. Yes, he’s wealthy and doesn’t need the money, but he accepted the salary and the responsibility of representation when he took the job.

14 Likes

Reminds me of Malcolm Rifkind, then chairman of Parliament’s Intelligence and Security Committee, telling undercover reporters (who were pretending to be representatives of a Chinese company looking to recruit him in an “advisory” role) that he was self-employed and that nobody paid him a salary.

YOU WORK FOR US, FUCKWIT. If you don’t think £67,000 a year is worth your time, don’t take the fucking job.

12 Likes

He is a Republican in Oklahoma

He will be re-elected continuously until he dies, retires, or is caught boffing a boy.

5 Likes

I refuse to believe someone is actually named Markwayne. Apparently he’s a member of the Cherokee Nation, and an MMA fighter. He also inherited everything from his daddy.

7 Likes

This is BS.
They are directly charged with representing their constituents.
Someone putting lug nuts on a Chevy - not that there’s something wrong with that or any job - is NOT charged with representing his or her constituents. They are charged with building Chevy’s.
And holding representatives accountable for said charge is what we are supposed to do.

3 Likes

… you get the democracy you deserve…

1 Like

Someone putting lug nuts on a Chevy is performing a public service- they are providing a service to the public for a fair charge.

Someone representing constituents should be doing the same thing. Performing that service for a reasonable fee. Only they, and the press, like to present themselves as somehow making a sacrifice to work for the public- you know, the yarn about how much more money they could be making as lawyers in the private sector, but they are just so selfless that they only work for 1xx,000 a year. It’s probably usually true that they could make more salary elsewhere, but only focusing on that severely discounts the bennies, getting to grandstand during hearings, be set up for sizable speaker fees and a well paying job lobbying after leaving office, the pleasure of having sycophants licking their buttholes, as well as the general benefit of being well connected to people in power.

The domains are the same because at the end of the day, people are hiring someone else to do the things they prefer not to. Gussy it up all you want, representative democracy is a bunch of people getting together as saying, hey, I’d rather spend time doing x,y, and z. I don’t have the time or expertise to go to all the meetings and learn about building codes and sewers and maintaining roads. So lets get together and designate someone to do that for us, and we’ll compensate them for their time and expertise. That’s no different than the collection of individuals in a community deciding that I don’t feel like learning how to fix my car and then taking the time to fix it- I’d rather be doing other things, so I’d like to pay someone to do that for me. Voting doesn’t perform some sort of magic transfiguration that changes what happens at the most basic level. It just changes the method by which they get a job and how they are held accountable.

Obviously you’re as jaded as I am, but you are still confusing private and public.
A person in a GM factory is not working FOR the public. They are working for a for-profit business that sells cars.
I also don’t think it’s usually true that a lot of these schlubs could be making more in the private sector. Louis Gohmert, Michelle Bachman? NOW they might be able to, but only because they performed favors.

5 Likes

Newsflash, asshole: No Congressman is in it for the salary. You don’t get to act holier-than-thou on that point.

2 Likes

I would point out there is absolutely a difference between a job that is public service like a civil servant vs one of private service like that within corporate America.

As a soldier, my “job” was to serve the citizens of our nation. To defend their freedom from threats both foreign and domestic.

As a developer at a financial services company I work to service the customers of the company yes. But ultimately my job is to make the firm more money.

There is a huge difference.

7 Likes

I’d like a fact check - follow the money that goes to him and his campaign to determine who he really works for.

4 Likes

From TFA:

In 2014, the Washington Post reported, Mullin received some scrutiny from the Office of Congressional Ethics for his continuing to advertise for and serve as an officer or on the board of Mullin Plumbing, Inc., and related companies while he served in Congress. An OCE report found that Mullin received $600,000 from the companies in income in 2013.

So in a way, he does work for himself.

4 Likes

Having spent some time in the swamp, I can see he made the ultimate mistake in Washington policy circles: saying what he is actually thinking.

7 Likes

They said that about Tatton too. It didn’t stop Martin Bell kicking Neil Hamilton’s corrupt arse in 1997.

You just need to start by finding an independent willing to run on a middle ground platform.

5 Likes

No those are barbarians. They got that name because they Greek thought their languages all sounds like bararbarbar gibberish.

but we have a lovely barbarian shop quartet…

4 Likes

Republican congressmen being a selfish entitled dick? Well, I’m totally shocked here.

5 Likes

Vote. Him. Out.

1 Like