Congressperson admits he only works for himself

I think he is being interpreted very uncharitably here. I think he is merely saying he doesn’t want to be a paid politician; he wants to be a useful legislator - because of his sense of service to his constituents.

Not to mention “career politician” itself also is not a bad thing. Having a salary for our legislator is a very important mechanism of a functioning “of the people” democracy because it enables anyone to pursue a legislative seat regardless of their affluence. If it was all a volunteer service it would be much harder for average Americans to do, effectively cementing in a rich ruling class even more so than we have now.

9 Likes

He’s saying that he isn’t being supported by tax payers, but that’s not how taxes work.

7 Likes

And they play some good rugby too

1 Like

I noticed you did not end your post with a “/s”

At first, I thought that was an oversight, but looking back, I think I would like to respond as if it were not.

To re-parse Congressman Mullins’ remarks in the most charitable way possible, I’m going to pretend he said:[quote]Because I am a prosperous business owner, I am a net payer of federal revenues, even after you take into account my Congressional salary.[/quote]

That is possibly, factually true. It would be the subject of an entire different conversation to test it, but for the purpose of this reply, I’m going to accept his (re-parsed) statement at face value, as factually correct.

I understand and actually respect that he does not wish to be thought of as a career politician. I can empathize with his personal narrative that his Congressional salary being revenue-neutral (or better) somehow ennobles his labors in Washington, raising them above the common fray.

His statement is still reprehensible, because of when and why he made the assertion.

He was at a town-hall meeting. A meeting of his constituents, where one of them (at least) was sufficiently unhappy with the way they were being represented at the Federal level to pull out the old saw (paraphrased)[quote]My taxes pay your salary; you work for me. And I’m not happy with the job you’re doing![/quote]

Does Congressman Mullins believe that, because he is independently wealthy, that he is relieved from the duty to represent the people of his district according to their wishes?

Does Congressman Mullins believe that, because he is a prosperous business owner, that he only needs to represent the interests of the people who actually voted for him?

Does Congressman Mullins believe that his privilege entitles him to ignore and/or combatively dismiss the protests of those of his constituents who dislike the way he’s doing his job?

That last question is the most important, because his conduct absolutely implies that the answer to that last question is yes.

17 Likes

So you don’t think that some people have motivation beyond making money? “Public service” is used to mean a kind of calling, where a person wants to make an acceptable living doing something they believe in for the public. This is in contrast to doing whatever to pay the rent, or doing something solely for the purpose of making a lot of money. (For the purposes of argument, I’m putting motivation into three categories. There are more.)

Certainly there is overlap between the first two (actual public service, when other options may be better, and doing something to put food on the table). I don’t see much overlap between the first and the third.

My point is that there is a difference in motivation.

4 Likes

And I guess what I’m trying to get at is that motivation doesn’t really matter, and that the distinction is largely semantics.

I don’t care what motivates someone, I care what they do. Some people make the world a better place, some don’t, and I don’t think public/private is the main distinguishing factor.

And I am also trying to point out that, while I don’t deny that this is a thing that can exist, this is a perception that is routinely abused by public “servants”.

1 Like

I will also point out that this is the SAME asshat who wanted to eject a little old lady from a town hall for holding colored pieces of paper.

6 Likes

But… you’re being uncharitable! Clearly, that old lady was a terrorist, or maybe a democrat! /s

5 Likes

and is routinely abused the other way 'round, by people referring to perfectly good people trying to do something worthwhile for the public as “feeding at the public trough” and “wasting my perfectly good tax money.”

I don’t mind ridiculing this idiot congressperson, but try to see that there is such a thing as “public service.” I don’t know that a corporation is going to come along and shut down a company manufacturing bad prosthetic heart valves in the back of a Bed Bath and Beyond.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.