Conservative MP apologizes for showing everyone his penis

You are correct, I do not. However, I don’t see how that makes a difference. I hold a job, same as this MP does. He did nothing wrong. Many people have done silly things in their youth, that only makes them more human and relatable in my eyes.

How is it toxic masculinity when a woman in the video of the incident is encouraging him? More than likely, everyone was drunk and harmless shenanigans ensued. Is it toxic when a woman flashes her breasts in a similar situation?

3 Likes

perhaps the greater offense was failing to wear undershorts.

1 Like

tenor (11)

16 Likes

Conservative MP for Leigh James Grundy is seen dropping his trousers while being encouraged by onlookers.

So the moral of the story - be careful what you ask for?

6 Likes

James Grundy want pants, too!

4 Likes

The apology was probably the shortest and easiest statement to make, and probably sincere in the sense that he may regret having done it now that the video is circulating.

He could have issued a statement with more nuance, or more humor, but he’s a politician. He doesn’t want to extend the story.

2 Likes

He’s British. Presumably he dropped his trousers first, then his pants.

13 Likes

You need to flip “Conservative and Labor” for England and Australia. The Conservatives would be Democrats and the Labor/Liberal would Republicans.

At least he didn’t say “…and for any offense taken.”

1 Like

Lolwut?

Not true. In Australia, Labor is roughly equal to Democrats. Liberals = Repubs/Conservatives/Tory

10 Likes

Funny, this is exactly the sort of thing I expect from young self-labeled conservatives. Especially when they’re running in packs.

3 Likes

I have this theory that conservatives all over the world are Six Degrees from Florida Man.

6 Likes

Maybe three degrees… :wink:

2 Likes

No, not really. This is a rough conversion guide, 100% accuracy not guaranteed.

UK - US

DUP = Republican
Conservative/Ulster Unionist = Republican/moderate/right wing Democrat
Liberal Democrat/Alliance = Libertarian/moderate/Democrat
Labour/SDLP = Democrat/DSA
Green = Green/DSA
SNP/Plaid Cymru/Sinn Fein = No equivalent in US politics, but they are left of centre by European standards

Yes, I know the DSA isn’t a political party, but I needed some way of showing more left wing than Democrat.

8 Likes

The unprincipled deed occurred before his election, so for now he is, including his penis, a private member and in that respect much more conservative.

1 Like

“Grundys” is Australian/NZ slang for underpants so that just makes this even funnier for me.

10 Likes

So where do knickers come into the equation? (asking as a USA person)

2 Likes

Traditionally they are ladies undergarments

3 Likes

Conservative, n: Do as I say, not as I do. (see also: theocracy, autocracy, hypocrisy)

1 Like
  1. No. Labour (Labor in Australia) are left of the Conservatives, so Labour are closer to Democrats than Republican.
  2. Conservative and Labour are not exclusive to England; they operate in Wales and Scotland and at the national level.
  3. England is analogous to a state, Australia is a country. The UK is a country.
    Please don’t say ‘England’ when you mean ‘UK’ - non-English Brits (like me) do take offence.

Nor did he, at the time. The BBC article implies he wasn’t even a local councillor until the following year, and it was 12 years before he became an MP (and he’s expressed surprise at being elected as a MP - he doesn’t come across as a career politician).

I’m not naturally inclined to defend a Tory, but this does sound like innocent foolishness amongst consenting adults.

6 Likes