Conservative trolls pretending to be black on Twitter "sad" and "obvious"

No it’s not. Breaking news is hitting main stream news sites and papers instantly. THEN they are quoted on Twitter. This makes Twitter nothing more than a branded RSS aggregator.

3 Likes

Twitter may become less accessible in the future…

http://in.mobile.reuters.com/article/idINKBN16U389

We all know dead people vote Democrat!

8 Likes

Did you see this?

He told listeners about five months ago: “It seems to be, and correct me if I’m wrong here, but virtually every case of voter fraud I can remember in my lifetime was committed by Democrats.”

12 Likes

Gotta fight fire with fire. You know that the democrats are fraudulently casting millions of votes, so it’s your duty to commit voter fraud as a republican.

12 Likes

FTA: “There was no indication that Twitter was considering charging fees from all its users.”

15 Likes

Please don’t try and speak for all of us, thanks.

3 Likes

CBC should check their comments for many examples of trolls pretending to be Canadian. CBC attracts them worse than Canadian healthcare.

• shrug * Okay. Clearly I get more out of Twitter than you do, and that’s fine.
3 Likes

Sounds more like a semantic game of deciding what constitutes “real news”. I could maybe accept that news websites possibly publish instantly - but papers? That’s not how they work. Many people still get their news via mass-media outlets which update only every few hours at most.

One could just as easily assert that many broadcast news sources are nothing more than branded Associated Press and Reuters relays.

1 Like

So I made a comment on another thread about this sort of thing going on, and i got lambasted by someone for being a conspiracy theorist. It’s not sad and obvious to someone just glancing at it.

1 Like

Yeah, some of them are obvious, though: they claim to be Canadian while, at the same time, claiming to not like maple syrup.

3 Likes

You don’t have to follow everyone, you know. I follow people I know personally but don’t get to see IRL often enough, plus a few comedy accounts like birdsrightsactivist. My own tweets are protected so I’m not deluged with responses from random assholes.

I don’t Tweet, but I did come from a slimy (but now defunct) right-leaning site where such fake accounts were a common occurrence.

There were even a few varieties of them:

You had your ‘Good House Negroes’;
Allegedly ultra conservative “Republicans” who bend over backwards to agree with every hateful word of dog-whistling and outright bigotry in their commentary.

Then there were the ‘Walking Stereotypes’;
Users claiming to be Black, and trying perpetuate the very worst preconceived notions and to reinforce racist bias; by acting exactly as ignorantly and despicably as the bigots fantasize how “all” Black people do.

And of course, there were the ‘Can’t We All Just Get Along/I Don’t See Color Idealists’; forever trying to marginalize and gloss over the systemic racism and bigotry that’s still rampant in our society.

Most of the time I didn’t even bother to engage the most obvious trolls, but every so often one or two merited a two finger salute:

11 Likes

Which thread? Can you link to your comment so we can see the responses to you?

1 Like

This one, I guess?

2 Likes

Ah! That the liberals were doing it first! Thanks!

1 Like

I didn’t read it like that, more that this is vindication of what they were saying there; that alt-righters were pretending to be ludicrous caricature leftists and shitposting. Which they’re doing, according to this article (but in this case pretending to be POC).

1 Like

A lot of reporters talk about stories while they’re working on them, and a lot of info. winds up there before it hits mainstream media, which is why there are always a number of stories that are built largely on quoted tweets. Half the accounts I follow are interesting reporters, since you get the best material when they’re not chained by their editors.

At the same time, if you don’t like Twitter (and there are many perfectly legitimate reasons to hate it), feel free to continue to not use it.

4 Likes