Conservative trolls pretending to be black on Twitter "sad" and "obvious"

A lot of reporters talk about stories while they’re working on them, and a lot of info. winds up there before it hits mainstream media, which is why there are always a number of stories that are built largely on quoted tweets. Half the accounts I follow are interesting reporters, since you get the best material when they’re not chained by their editors.

Sometimes. But I’m not going to stare at a twitter screen continuously till the news breaks, so I know it few minutes earlier than my neighbor. (Similarly, I don’t mind him having a bigger car than me.)

At the same time, if you don’t like Twitter (and there are many perfectly legitimate reasons to hate it), feel free to continue to not use it.

You know what: that is an excellent idea. I was about to resubscribe, but you convinced me. /s

Okay. Wouldn’t be the first time I misread something, likely not to be the last.

1 Like

It feels weird to defend Twitter, but really, I think there are some really nice sides to it that maybe not everyone realizes.

For the last couple weeks I’ve been scarce from the BBS, since I’ve been chatting and joking around with professional wildlife biologists, a few park rangers, bio teachers, and other related life sciences PhDs about who would win in a matchup between a set of mammals in a March Madness format. I’m an amateur naturalist, so it’s been incredibly cool being able to have that kind of access to those people and joke around with them, hear about relevant research, etc., and some of those folks bought copies of my book, which is also really cool on a few fronts. I also posted art I made related to the competitions and had a blast making it and seeing it get shared around with other people and joking around about it.

I follow Sarah Jeong, who’s a tech law reporter, who’s whip smart, really hilarious, and writes really interesting pieces (some featured on BB). I’ve joked around with her sometimes and asked about cases, and it’s been really, really cool.

I like Philip Bump since he’s the biggest dork or a reporter I’ve ever seen, and his pieces are all the kind of political nerdery I like best, and I joke around with him, and we had a running argument about whether Ted Cruz was the Zodiac Killer.

And there’s darth who is a hilarious political commentator, an admirable Photoshopper, and lover of dogs, and who makes me laugh every day, and who has tens of thousands of followers. They also will sometimes post photos of my hedgehog, and when they spot hedgehogs on Twitter and other things will ping me.

There are like a dozen more accounts from cool, interesting people/things I could explain why I like for many and various reasons, from fun accounts dog_rates, to writers I like who hang out on Twitter, to interesting people in my work domain talking about things that help at the job, and other things where I can get expert opinions from the authorities on the subject.

So I follow cool, smart, notable, interesting, etc. people I like getting to interact with where there’s no other way that would ever happen, but it’s normal and accepted on Twitter so long as you’re not a troll. I like that enough that I can put up with the down sides of the platform. YMMV.

10 Likes

Can you give me the handles of these people. Appears to be more than one Sarah Jeong. I’m still trying to figure out how to use Twitter.

2 Likes

whatever else you do, follow @dog_rates
Sarah Jeong is @sarahjeong
@darth is darth who is the best
@pbump is the dork reporter (not everyone’s going to like his humor)

We probably shouldn’t drag this thread into this totally OT direction, so PM me if you want any suggestions for other accounts worth following.

2 Likes

Twitter is IMO about the best thing to happen in pro-wrestling since the chairshot. As a performance that feeds off the audience, Twitter is perfect for building a character, continuing a feud, reacting to fans and putting the company, the worker or their opponent over. Like, if your favourite heel insults and blocks you in a response to a comment, that’s made a fan for life.

4 Likes

Yeah, there’s corners where there are things going on that really work, even if there are also toxic bogs. I admit, I may have other biases:

5 Likes

I hate that bullshit.

8 Likes

Trust me, it really does look weird to see someone defend Twitter to a point (i) way past the original topic of this article (ii) several days past publication, when there are unlikely to be any other readers left in this forum, (iii) using a story that’s TL;DR, (iv) making a very personal and elaborate list of people you follow. It’s like having to read a passionate rebuttal about the I Love Lucy Show, because I dropped a casual bomb on it. Really very awkward.

1 Like

I’d been mulling misguided twitter hate off and on, sorry you were the recipient of a thing not exactly directed at you. I think there are still readers on the topic since my awkward comment sparked replies other than yours, and since this is the BBS where day old topics get woken up all the time.

12 Likes

Sorry, but I find myself disagreeing on pretty much every point. (i)True, the topic is based more on bad-faith Twitter accounts, but seeing examples of positive Twitter users is a refreshing reminder that not everything on Twitter, or in the world at large, is negative. (ii)The only time it’s too late to post is when a topic’s closed. Due to sheer volume I can’t keep up with every thread, let alone read and chime in everywhere on the first day or two. Who could? (iii) TL;DR is personal preference. I didn’t mind the long post. (iv) In examples like this, using personal experience is only natural. Why wouldn’t he draw from his own Twitter to explain what he gets out of it? I liked hearing who @nemomen follows. If and when I ever get a Twitter account I might follow some of them myself.

And going off on passionate tangents when another Mutant brings up an area of interest is kind of what we do here, you know? :grinning: I’ve done it myself, and I’ve learned some very interesting things I’d never have heard of if others here didn’t gush about them. I don’t consider that awkward at all. It’s not a bug-- it’s a feature. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

26 Likes

Perhaps a new, shinier, more efficient model is called for on the BBS?

#Conservative trollies pretending to be black on Twitter “sad” and “obvious”

• Agree
  • Disagree
  • Ketchup Catsup
0 voters
10 Likes

I’m voting “Ketchup”.

11 Likes

There ya’ go.

7 Likes

How ‘black and white.’

:wink: