Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones agrees to liquidate Infowars

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/07/conspiracy-theorist-alex-jones-agrees-to-liquidate-infowars.html

10 Likes

projector GIF

20 Likes

I’d hoped “liquidate” in this instance was less “sell off” and more “dissolve in a vat of acid.”

41 Likes

The administrators are there to stop Jones asset-stripping the company and leaving nothing for the plaintiffs. Interfering with editorial matters would surely raise First Amemdment issues.

20 Likes

Good riddance. Maybe some private equity vultures will swoop in to buy the rotting carcass in the hope of re-selling it to some conspiracist sucker like RFK Jr. That’s their style.

18 Likes

Oh I don’t think that we’ve see the last of Infowars or Alex Jones. He’s transitioned into an Elon Musk sycophant ever since getting his Twitter account back, and takes every opportunity to defend his new idol whenever it comes up. I can absolutely see Musk buying Infowars, or Jones trying the Tucker Carlson move of hosting a new show on Twitter.

Aside from the Sandy Hook families, who I really feel bad for is the hosts of Knowledge Fight. What are Dan and Jordan going to make fun of when Infowars goes away?

17 Likes

Yeah I just hopped over there to see what was on it, and there’s a lot more dangerous misinformation than just Biden pooping his pants. Typical antivax, COVID hoax, plandemic bullshit, as well as an article about how Trump will be executed in prison via “apparent suicide” if Democrats succeed in jailing him.

14 Likes

“George Soros has the opportunity to do the funniest thing right now:”

via: x.com

15 Likes

I’m assuming Jones “agreed” to liquidate because he’s already squirreled away as much money as he thinks he can get away with. I’m hopeful that the courts will appoint a financial proctologist to probe every single financial transaction he’s done since the trial started to claw back every penny he owes.

20 Likes

This was my first thought: someone will buy it (for as little money as they can get away with, if only so that the Sandy Hook families get next to nothing), and then ‘hire’ Jones to be the on-air “talent”* at some ludicrous salary, or better yet for a superficially tiny salary and giant perks (a ‘parsonage’ of four luxury condos and a yacht, plus dinner with Putin perhaps?) that the plaintiffs can’t grab because he doesn’t ‘own’ them.

And presto, he’s back up and running like nothing happened.

Tucker was relegated to Xitter (and Russian TV, of course) because he was disowned by his network. But Jones’s media company is all about himself, so why would anyone buy it other than to hand it right back to him?

Someone tell me this simple, awful scenario isn’t as simple and inevitable as it appears to me. I’d really, really love to be wrong.

*Those air quotes are doing the heaviest of heavy lifting here.

14 Likes

George Soros. George Soros should buy Infowars. It’s going up for auction, Alex Jones can’t stop it.

9 Likes

You owe @keithmo a Coke.

10 Likes

We need a Discworld Patrician like person to take a dig through Jones’ records. It would be so satisfactory.

6 Likes

How do I make this thing 10x bigger and louder??

GIF by Matthew Henry

3 Likes

What if we create a Kickstarter to buy the company and use Infowars for better purposes?

2 Likes

What if we keep the name and do nothing so that it dies forever?

20 Likes

Ding Dong the Wicked Witch is Dead? is it really that simple. Will it be destroyed as thoroughly as gawker was?

2 Likes

Ah, make me dream…

Their style is to strip it of any value, load it with debt and walk away with their pockets full of cash. As long as the Sandy Hook families get their money I’m happy. Too bad I’m a devout atheist; were I Xtian my wish would be for Jones and his far-too-plentiful ilk to rot in Hell.

6 Likes

All I can say is, Tuck Buckford.

1 Like

Apparently I owe you a Coke.