Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

Stendal apparently vaccinated 320 of their police force, Koblenz 127 of their fire brigade including their office staff. In Halle the Mayor himself jumped the line and from what I remember the whole city’s council got an offer - and since that happened, the Mayor insists on in-person council meetings.

Sorry, also to @L0ki - I’ll try to post some follow-up later. Much else to do. 40h/w + private life, all WFH… And today is Wieverfastelovend, which brings my Rhenanian genes to full expression.

12 Likes

Matt Bomer Negativeman GIF by DOOM PATROL

7 Likes
4 Likes

Atmospheric Transmission would work for a socially distanced pandemic era Joy Division covers band.

Just need to make sure the gas masks you sing through are suitably dystopian looking.

10 Likes
10 Likes
14 Likes

Slightly off topic, but argument #185395 for universal healthcare:

Study design is somewhat arguable, but to get at what they are trying to study, they did a pretty damn good job. No ethical way to make this a double blind case control study, after all.

21 Likes

I hear you. I post here when I should be doing other things…

Here we typically have a carve out for “first responders”: whatever my general opinions of them, I totally get the case for police being first teir (hell, I’d like to think they’re out there mixing it up with mask-holes).

Mayor and city council, not so much. Let them struggle with kitten filters.

14 Likes
11 Likes

Someone will have to read this for me, I can’t get past the picture of the person dicknosing.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/11/cdc-two-vaccine-doses-skip-quarantine-covid-19

The person who vaccinated my father was apparently dicknosing.

12 Likes

19 Likes

I have no problem when people who are not prioritised get a jab to save said jabs from getting to waste. The window of opportunity is usually not so large, especially for the BioNtech/Pfizer vaccine. However, I want full disclosure what they try to get people who are really exposed to rush to the vaccination centres to get the needle in their arm. Resident practitioners, e.g., who people see first when they have a cold. Teachers. Kindergarden staff.

If you can tell me why a fire brigade secretary or a mayor gets a jab, but someone who is driving an Ambulance does not, ok. But I want a reason documented, and not something like a mayor in a YT video telling me “our fire brigade is always there during the pandemic”, referring to the fact that they built the vaccination centre.

This is at least a disappointment, at worst nepotism.

5 Likes

A 34% price increase was used in this study. Do I want to search for average medication price increases over the past few years to compare what people have actually been trying to manage? No, I do not. Manufacturers who’ve decided to maximize profits and kill people who cannot afford medication should get in line for penalties along with the opioid makers.

8 Likes
13 Likes

And then there is this. Damn it, can we just get it straight, please?

Short On Syringes, Japan May Waste Millions Of Pfizer Vaccine Doses : NPR

12 Likes

That 34% was in the Medicare co-pay, and amounted to $10, give or take per prescription. The Pharma gouging is way, way bigger and more expensive.

10 Likes

Ah! So close!

12 Likes

That would be great! That’s a good 6 months sooner than I have been hearing!

10 Likes

Yeah: not soon enough for my 4½-year-old, alas, but great news for a lot of people. Some suspect Fauci is being optimistic, but I think so far vaccine creation and trials have exceeded expectations.

Stanford’s Maldonado added that she’s concerned that there’s not as much pressure on the manufacturers to recruit children of diverse backgrounds as there was for the adult trials. “I think it’s important to get those kids in to understand factors around the actual vaccine and also to get buy-in of those communities where we’re seeing more hesitancy. We want to make sure they are feeling comfortable about being represented,” she said.

Something for Biden to do when he wants to give his poor signing hand a break.

8 Likes

I was just coming to post that final paragraph from the article. Fauci may be more enthusiastic than this warrants, but still hopeful. Get it done to minimize the emergence of variants, is nothing else.

11 Likes