Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

24 Likes
13 Likes

One of my coworkers recently said on a staff call that she hoped CDC et al would “seriously reconsider” their approach to closing schools and requiring masking in any future pandemics, given all the collateral damage to her kids that were made to miss in person schooling and sports for those months. She also specifically complained about a recent sporting event where the kids had to run track or play lacrosse while masked.
It kills me, bc I think they’ve really done the bare minimum. Overall.
I don’t even know how to get through to people like this. She’s otherwise intelligent and compassionate, but when I brought up the larger societal risks she said, “I got it, it wasn’t a big deal.” It’s really difficult to figure out how to get people to understand that it’s not all about them…

15 Likes

chart

charts

ckelly17.github.io/vaccine_dashboard.html

9 Likes

I hope she remembers that line when a vascular surgeon is pulling an 8” long clot from her leg…

11 Likes

Because of course they did.

12 Likes

36% is plenty, right?

4 Likes

don't touch jodie whittaker GIF by Doctor Who

10 Likes

America, get ready for the Jim Bob strain.

3 Likes
6 Likes

We’ve got an Olympics coming up. And not in just the 2020 (2021?) Tokyo Summer Olympics; the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics are just around the corner, too. I can’t help but feel, “We’re not ready.” At the same time, I can’t imagine the organizers being keen to cancel. It’s really looking like the Tokyo Olympics are going to happen, in spite of the wishes of people actually in Tokyo.

7 Likes
13 Likes
5 Likes

I have to say, as much as this hypothesis was portrayed as a loony conspiracy theory early on, I’ve been coming around to it as being at least a strong possibility based on some of the recent reporting.

De-politicizing the investigations will be a serious challenge. I confess that I dismissed it early on in part because the Trump administration was pushing so hard to blame the Chinese government and I’ve got a tendency to assume that whatever Trump says is definitely not true.

4 Likes

Argh

5 Likes

So, doubly annoying, if they have dropped a mask requirement for the vaccinated but are using the honor system only, then those who do wear masks would be presumed to be unvaccinated even if they are. WTF

13 Likes

I’m going to be presuming the exact opposite.

9 Likes

not just annoying, also deadly.

i would’ve understood if the cdc had done this and set some community vaccination percentages as guidelines: say 60 or 70 percent. instead, they just told the whole country in affect, take off your masks

:crying_cat_face:

10 Likes
9 Likes
3 Likes