Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

I guess anyone related to the Vogelchecks would be!

5 Likes

Via:

14 Likes

Don’t click this link. I can’t figure out how to mangle the link so that Discourse doesn’t onebox it.

https://www.insidehook.com/article/travel/arizonas-secret-season/

Here’s the start:

A couple of crucial new criteria have arisen for traveling during a pandemic. First of all, lower capacity has become an important caveat, as has the ability to comfortably be outside for the majority of the time. The intersection of these two factors makes Scottsdale and Arizona’s Sonoran Desert — already attractions in their own right — new hotspot destinations for the intrepid Angelenos who are still interested in traveling this winter.

I’ve reported them to Google, for what it’s worth.

9 Likes

27 Likes

" Once a COVID-19 vaccine is authorized by the Food and Drug Administration, allocations will be made based on the total number of adults in the state. “We wanted to keep this simple,” Alex Azar, secretary of Health and Human Services, said at a media briefing Tuesday. “We thought it would be the fairest approach, and the most consistent.”"

What assholes…

21 Likes

Wednesday Is New Jobless Day

This week. 778K new lucky duckies. Heading up.

by Atrios at 08:59

What kind of a moron is Joe Biden that he isn’t talking about this every fucking day? But I’m sure Janet Yellen is on top of it. <sigh>

6 Likes

Unbelievable. I mean, all too believable, but still. We need a new word. Chutzpah isn’t enough.

They Know Even Less Than What They Say

I don’t personally have all that much to say about the “should schools open” debate other than “we are a fucked up society that should have priortized ensuring that was possible by putting modest resources at least behind it and of course we didn’t so let’s blame teachers unions and lol everything is bad” but there have been people with very strong opinions using their academic credentials to push them to be open and, welp…

(CNN)A Brown University economics professor said she is surprised to hear the director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is relying on a website she started to promote in-person learning for schoolchildren.

The website incorporates data that schools and school districts voluntarily publish, along with data that some report directly to the site, but it’s far from complete, Oster said. She said she was surprised that Redfield referenced it when he said that a growing body of research showed kids were not getting infected in school.

“It is totally bananas,” she said. “I think we are doing as good a job as we can. This is not my field. It’s crazy.”

Let me try to distill it down to one sentence:

A Brown University economics professor who started a website to promote in-person learning for schoolchildren says it’s “bananas” that the CDC director cited that website in order to promote in-person learning for schoolchildren, saying it was a crazy thing to do because it is not her field.

She hasn’t been shy about promoting herself and this view!!!

You fucked up! You trusted us!!!

Oster knows she’ll get blamed if the reopening experiment ends in disaster. In that case, “the best I can do is say that I did something I felt was productive and helpful,” she told me. “If the result of having done that is that the policy direction I pushed was not right, at least I got the data to show that.” It would be ironic, I responded, if her own dataset proved her wrong. “It’s true!” she said. “I think this data will be useful no matter what we show. But, yes, it would be ironic if I once again show myself to be wrong. That could be my thing! But I’m hoping not.”

I guess this is an anticapatory oopsie, your bad for listening to me?

by Atrios at 08:00

10 Likes

Surely Florida must have firing squads…

17 Likes

They have alligators.

15 Likes

I guess Gov. Rona is a little displeased with Key West thumbing their municipal nose at his BS and imposing their own $500 fine for being maskless in public. fck you, DeathSantis!

24 Likes

Could! At some future date! It’s a possibility! You never know!

16 Likes

I hope against hope for justice for all who are struggling to feed themselves and their family. November is harvest time in North America. This is a month, a season when traditionally the grain comes in, the vegetables and fruits. And yet… this.

I hope every single person 18 years old and older, in every car, in that line, in every line, is a registered voter who shows up and fkn votes. Dangit. And gets their friends and family registered. In Texas and in every other U.S. state.

Dallas is in Harris Dallas County…

ETA2: thanks @FloridaManJefe
I am very short on sleep, and I needed your correction!

### Harris County

There are 2.5 million registered voters in Harris County, an increase of 245,844 voters from 2016. Here’s the cumulative percentage of registered voters in Harris County who voted early.

To learn more about local elections, you can visit Harris County’s elections website.

Results in last two elections

|Year|Result|
| — | — |
|2018|+16.7 O’Rourke|
|2016|+12.3 Clinton|

Note: The 2018 U.S. Senate race featured Cruz (R) and O’Rourke (D). Trump (R) faced Clinton (D) in 2016.

During early voting, 1.4 million people, or 57.9% of registered voters, cast their ballots in Harris County.

51% voted in person

6.9% voted by mail

Dallas County

There are 1.4 million registered voters in Dallas County, an increase of 111,298 voters from 2016. Here’s the cumulative percentage of registered voters in Dallas County who voted early.

To learn more about local elections, you can visit Dallas County’s elections website.

Results in last two elections

Year Result
2018 +33.0 O’Rourke
2016 +26.1 Clinton

Note: The 2018 U.S. Senate race featured Cruz (R) and O’Rourke (D). Trump (R) faced Clinton (D) in 2016.

During early voting, 799,437 people, or 57.2% of registered voters, cast their ballots in Dallas County.

52.1% voted in person

5.1% voted by mail

Oct. 13

ETA:

In case anyone wants to offer support:

10 Likes

your point is sound. even more voters needed in Texas that will remember what the republican legislature has done to your state.
not to be contrary however, Dallas is in Dallas County while Houston is in Harris County. (native son of Travis County turned Keybilly)

12 Likes

8 Likes

But how many are blaming the Democrats for ruining Trump’s beautiful economy with their Covid hoax?

And who’s out there telling them otherwise?

9 Likes
19 Likes

Thank you.
Great to have this correction.

Am super tired, this is my third day of <5 hours of sleep. I am plumb wrung out, as the saying goes here.

14 Likes

Sleep has been rough lately. Naps are your friend- if you can grab a half hour.

16 Likes
5 Likes

Members of the National Guard and volunteers in neon-orange vests, all wearing masks or bandanas, loaded up one car trunk after another to help hundreds from going hungry as the holidays approach.

Wait, the guardsmen haven’t been given proper PPE?

11 Likes