Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

Of course, all that happened in a country where the government could ensure any policy decisions were adopted, and cases were low enough that contact tracing could be effective.

This line is really starting to make me angry. “Only fascism can stop the virus, so :man_shrugging: :rofl:

9 Likes
12 Likes

Concerns with the AstraZeneca vaccine trials:

Unfortunate, if true, as the logistics for this vaccine would be a great deal easier than the other two, especially for the developing world.

Update: Beth Mole has concerns, so I have concerns.

19 Likes

Wow. Wow. That is unbelievable, and yet totally believable. This is why getting the actual figures from the study is so important. They can say whatever they want, but until I see the study, it’s “well, isn’t that special.”

22 Likes

Cynical me would wonder if there was some manipulation of the market involved, but given what’s already been going on this year with pharmaceutical shares, I don’t need to look.

13 Likes

“Everyone can get a test!”

CVS only schedules three days out. There are no available appointments.
Pima County/Arizona State University have free testing. First appointments available December 2nd, and that’s on the other side of town. Closer facilities are up to a week later.

15 Likes

Cost is also a factor. Rite Aid was offering free testing, but since federal funding for that program will end soon, they’re going to charge $115 starting December 1st. That cost could deter people from getting tested.

(Though Rite Aid did send me an email telling me they’ll be giving out free Covid vaccines, once one gets federal approval, which is nice.)

I got tested at an urgent care, where they offered both a two-day test and a rapid response test.

16 Likes

Even the other vaccines that are supposedly 95% effective are based on 30,000 vaccinated/controls and about 100 total people getting Covid. I.e., 95 non-vaccinated people getting Covid and 5 of the vaccinated group getting it. (I am not using the actual numbers here, just illustrating.)

Lots of work still needs to be done. We are going to see these “95% effective” numbers come down tremendously in the coming months. Doesn’t mean we should hold up vaccination. Au contraire… Even if these vaccines turn out to be shitty, we need to vaccinate as many people as possible as soon as possible. My point is these risk assessments are works in progress, not settled science.

6 Likes

Definitely not the news which boost confidence. But we need to carefully control the narrative of questioning the results, not to undermine the acceptance of a potentially still very effective vaccine.

FUD is very dangerous regarding the vaccines. Literally, millions may die if we cannot control the spread. So we fucking need worldwide acceptance and support.

I’m all for thorough science. Let them do science to it. Everyone, please be careful with the discussions. Tropes like ‘big pharma’ are in the top of everyone’s head, but we also need to be scientific about those, I would suggest.

5 Likes

put a space in front of it

https://www.insidehook.com/article/travel/arizonas-secret-season

In Search of Arizona’s “Secret Season” - InsideHook

8 Likes
11 Likes
21 Likes

Mass has been updated for 2020 to include the virus of Christ.

17 Likes

In my case it would have been with bothers - still - fair gripe.

Couldn’t smoke that at home.

13 Likes

“ While some Catholic priests claimed coronavirus lockdowns that shuttered churches infringed on religious liberties, Pope Francis has adhered to Italy’s strict lockdown.

ADVERTISEMENT

He halted all public Masses at the Vatican, livestreamed his morning liturgies during the peak of Italy’s outbreak, and at one point even admonished priests who balked at the measures for their “adolescent resistance.”

We seem to have a failure to communicate.

19 Likes

But we need to carefully control the narrative of questioning the results

Agreed, heartily. The CBC’s coverage of it as a manufacturing error has got a reasonably nuanced discussion. I have beefs with the business, but not about their science nor about the response time of the pharma companies. I’d personally take any of the vaccines tomorrow if given a chance.

I’ll link to the CBC coverage, but the headline is a little alarmist, so I won’t one-box it.

The university said that it discussed the problem with regulators, and agreed to complete the late-stage trial with two groups. The manufacturing problem has been corrected, according to the statement.

So everybody appears to be maintaining an open and robust process. We should be happy that the error was caught, disclosed, and adjusted for.

It’s too late to start nationalizing facilities, as Canada discovered, so we’ve made our bed and are lying in it. Unless we all want to take a chance with the RadVac crowd’s homebrew we need to trust the larger companies and our public oversight.

13 Likes

These days though, there are edibles. The ones I take look like the old Sunkist-brand jellies, so easy to smuggle on a family trip.

2d2197aaf4a7d35d

16 Likes
9 Likes

Ugh, that’s just terrifying. Stay safe, Albertans. Although we’re not doing much better in BC, although for completely different reasons.

9 Likes

I was trying to figure out what illicit substance “bothers” was slang for, for way too long.
Brothers, right? Lol.

10 Likes