Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

12 Likes

Mr. João Doria, governor of the state of São Paulo, says that vaccination against Covid-19 in the state begins on January 25th. The first to receive the immunizer will be health professionals, indigenous people and quilombolas (from Wikipedia - A quilombola is an Afro-Brazilian resident in a quilombo, a settlement initially established by fugitive slaves in Brazil).

The CoronaVac vaccine, developed by the Chinese laboratory Sinovac, is already being produced by the Butantan Institute, in São Paulo, but its use in the country has not yet been authorized by Anvisa, the National Health Regulatory Agency.

The governor also said that the vaccine will be free of charge and 4 million doses will be sent to other statesif they want. Mr. Doria guaranteed that people from other states who may be in São Paulo will be able to get vaccinated, even if they don’t live there. Mr. Doria, however, has not yet explained what he will do if it starts a kind of immune tourism or vaccine rush, that is, crowds visiting the state in search of protection against the virus.

12 Likes

As you may recall, invented by Pesco’s older brother Rick! (He originally invented the Under the Weather pods for watching his kids’ sporting games in the rain.)

From the 2012 post:

But I actually think the Under The Weather tent could be a big hit.

They’re obviously still in business…

9 Likes

Just thought this chart was interesting:

We in the US are really unique in that we never had a real flattering of the death rate, even temporarily. Other than the obvious issue that our government response sucks and we don’t have universal mask use, I wonder how much of this is attributable to the fact that we’re a much larger, more geographically diverse country from any single European country, allowing the “hot spots” of highest death rates to jump around a bit even as some areas stabilize. For example, I suspect that if you plotted deaths for only the NY metropolitan area it might show a pattern more closely resembling one of the European countries with a long flattened period over the summer.

Edit to add:
I’m told by someone who has been tracking these numbers that a lot of the explanation is the surges of cases in prisons that occurred in the southern part of the country over the summer. So our outsized prisoner population is just one more thing that makes the US special… :frowning:

16 Likes

American exceptionalism continues to redefine itself.

smh

7 Likes
12 Likes

28 Likes

Because why would they do anything to help the Biden administration? More people die? Good! What immoral assholes.

11 Likes

Brass bands are ok.

8 Likes
13 Likes

“Due to a recent uptick in asymptomatic positive cases, the PDP [Philadelphia Department of Prisons] must now return to shelter in place for all PDP inmates,” Commissioner Blanche Carney said in a statement. “This means that inmates will only leave their cell for showers, phone calls, and virtual visits with attorneys, and, when it becomes available on Dec. 15, virtual visits with family and loved ones.”

The news raised alarm for lawyers who have been pushing for the courts to resume speedy trials and resolve a backlog of thousands of cases interrupted by the pandemic.

“There will be no inmates brought to the Stout Center until further notice,” Supervising Judge Leon Tucker wrote to judges of the city’s criminal courts, in a Saturday email obtained by The Inquirer.

12 Likes
23 Likes

Apparently our press in the US is currating Covid news very differently than every other countrie’s press. Feeding the doom scroll = $

3 Likes

William Shakespere, 81, is the second person to get Covid-19 vaccine

“An 81-year-old man named William Shakespere has become the second person to get the Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine outside of clinical trials.”

“Shakespere, known to friends as Bill, is a patient on the frailty ward at a hospital in the English city of Coventry, said Lynda Scott, a spokeswoman for University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire.” -CNN

17 Likes

Shocker: Operation Bare Minimum isn’t even that.

Monday, December 07, 2020

And You Thought Maybe They Did Something Right

Haha no you didn’t.

Trump administration officials passed when Pfizer offered in late summer to sell the U.S. government additional doses of its Covid-19 vaccine, according to people familiar with the matter. Now Pfizer may not be able provide more of its vaccine to the United States until next June because of its commitments to other countries, they said.

Atrios at 17:06

Not being drawn:

14 Likes

“If you prick me,” he was heard to ask, “do I not bleed?”

22 Likes

Spain: More Death Please! We Belong to You, Boris!

Native Americans have different priorities:

16 Likes

It’s Covidy, it’s XKCD, but I can’t say I’ve personally ever felt this way.

20 Likes
13 Likes

I fantasize about having a government that cares about such things.

14 Likes