Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

She is pretty smart.

1 Like

If that is true, I will be extremely pissed. And VA, with 8.5 million people gets 72k, WV with 1.2 million 60k. Quick scan suggests a red state / blue state split that is, well, entirely predictable. Anybody with time to spare want to do the doses/1000 calculation and see if my gut reaction has any basis?

14 Likes

So far, proves your point.

16 Likes

Fortunately, a new genie is going to take over in January and set this wobbling ship back upright. God what a damn mess Trump has made!

4 Likes

Be on the lookout for COVID FUD about a Johns Hopkins “study” showing that there is no increase in the number of deaths in the US, and that the deaths attributed to COVID are just the normal number of deaths due to other causes, but are nominally classified as COVID because the deceased tested positive.

There are so many things wrong with it, that it’s difficult to unpack it all. The highlights:
-directly refuted by CDC stats on excess mortality, which shows 2020 deaths increased by 300,000 regardless of cause
-not a study at all; it was an interview of an economics program director, not an academic journal or any publication associated with either the medical school or school of public health

Anyway, it crossed my feed and I reported it, but it had been liked and commented on by people who should know better.

14 Likes

So its fakely attributed to JH or JH is putting out FUD?

Pending whether the legislature promises to give its electors to Trump, same as Arizona, Pennsylvania and Michigan.

8 Likes
6 Likes

NYT is oddly positive about the UK’s roll-out of the vaccination programme. Might just be clearing low bars, I guess.

7 Likes

Now that their #1 Crush is going away, Boris is all they have left.

5 Likes

No they’re not. Kemp shut that shit down, several times now. :woman_shrugging: He’s not overturning the election, no matter how hard Trump leans on him.

8 Likes

Then no vaccine for you!

4 Likes

22 Likes

I hear him, but I’m taking it after I see some ‘valued’ White folks take it and survive with no adverse side effects; some of us still remember the Tuskegee Experiment, and I have no desire to be anyone’s lab rat or crash test dummy.

14 Likes

Made a spreadsheet with state populations, and have a few takeaways:

• After about 5 states I suspect most people don’t have much of a sense of relative population. I certainly didn’t. Ohio?
  • Man there are a lot of states that start with “N”.
  • Instead of Blue states being punished, the average for most states turns out to be about 0.8% of the population.
  • The large outliers are almost all super-red, with some exceptions (like Oregon).
  • The worst-off state is Kentucky.
  • It is kinda weird how none of the election lawsuit states posted numbers.

Next up I’m going to see what percentage of the actual number of vaccines secured each state is claiming (hint: Florida is claiming 200% for themselves.) Misread that number: rather they’ll run out during round two.

10 Likes

You really need a gif for that to make sure people don’t read it as hostile:

4 Likes
13 Likes

one thing to keep in mind too is that they all require two doses, so the numbers only help half what it seems.

( and here’s to hoping that the deliveries are on time, especially because i don’t think they’re all coming at once. so the timing of the second deliveries will really matter at the start of this )

11 Likes
25 Likes

While I wasn’t a Merkel fan before the current crisis, I have lots of respect for her now. This is exactly how true leader should be.

17 Likes