Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

From the article’s description, it seems the couple were definitely trying to skirt the protocols. Maybe he got past the temperature check as some people do?

Anecdotal, but I rarely set off the temperature scanner at my local grocery, and it always comes up with LO. It can take me up to four or five tries sometimes just to get a reading.

10 Likes

Most in country flights don’t check anyone’s temp at all. :woman_shrugging:

13 Likes

16 Likes

Blame Elaine McTurtle.

Apparently she blocked the idea.

12 Likes
10 Likes

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/police-investigating-superyacht-group-who-arrived-in-cairns-with-positive-covid-19-case/ar-BB1cbXTV

Anyone wanna lay a bet on these folks getting the same treatment that a boat full of poor brown refugees would receive?

18 Likes

Do you have a taste for brains? That could explain it.

11 Likes

TIL. :man_facepalming: post-Xmas boom is going to break us. So I’ve got that to look forward to anyway!

21 Likes
27 Likes

Our only hope to get through the onslaught is going to be the Army assisting hospitals. But not while Trump is in charge, or he will turn it into a power grab.

6 Likes

Bedspace is relatively easy, field hospitals and such can go up quickly. But staffing them is a different matter. We are experiencing severe personnel shortages in ICU competent HCW’s as is. The Chinese model is, I guess, an option. “Hospital-as-warehouse” with minimal staffing and minimal care, maybe better than nothing, but holy shit, what a mess. Don’t get me wrong, we will do the very best we can, but it will be an adventure.

19 Likes

I have a lot of family in healthcare. We were thinking that if certain counties or better yet some whole states could get a handle on the virus locally, then those hcp could travel to other areas in need, like what we do with forest firefighters.

12 Likes

That is how earlier outbreaks were handled, specifically thinking of NYC/NJ back in the Spring. The issue here is how many areas are on fire at once. Even here in VA, where we are 45th in terms of cases/million, the ICU’s are full and currently transferring to hospitals in MD. In places further up the list, it is worse and stripping HCW’s from one emergency to staff another is a really bad idea.

18 Likes

Yep, the sharing is predicated on availability. No sharing where people are needed or projected to be needed. And, often it’s easier to send the patient rather than transport the equipment and personnel… It’s complex. And it’s a race against mother nature as the virus itself is showing early signs of morphing into something worse.

6 Likes
19 Likes
2 Likes
21 Likes

Killing Mom’s Worth It

https://abc7news.com/amp/holiday-travel-covid-surge-christmas-eve-restrictions/9030125/

most of them by car.

That’s probably better, at least a little?

14 Likes

The anti-vaxxers are everywhere.
In a recent opinion poll, rejection against the covid vaccine goes from 19% to 28% in 1 month, shows Brazilian PoderData.

11 Likes

I’m not sure the car part helps much. People on road trips tend to stop in places to get food or fuel, use the restrooms, etc… So they’re mingling with strangers on the way to infect the rest of the family (or be infected by one of them, because I doubt everyone knows where the others had been before deciding to sit down and share a holiday meal the virus). :woman_shrugging:t4:

13 Likes