Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

I think if you’re in the spaces for shorter times than you’d be in airports, it might be safer. And recently a bunch of TSA agents have come down with it, so I wouldn’t want them handling my stuff or frisking me…
I’ve been seriously thinking of trading in my pickup truck for a van so I can travel without having to go in anywhere except to get gas and pick up groceries, which I already have to do anyway.
Somewhat related, One of Mr. Linkey’s coworkers took a cross-country train ride over Thanksgiving and arrived with COVID.

11 Likes

My paranoia says that’s why I’m low on the list of priorities to be vaccinated in the UK. Old people tend to vote Conservative, disabled people tend to vote Labour.

I guess I am still ahead of 50-64 year olds.

15 Likes

Just because you’re paranoid…

6 Likes

Relates to something I said upthread. Beds are easy. Staff is not, and the ones that know how to do this are quickly running out of steam. Friend of ours is an ICU nurse who was off for Christmas and very much looking forward to holidays with her daughter just back from military service. This morning she posted “Christmas 2020 style” with her picture in full PPE. Yup, she got called in because someone who was supposed to work tested positive. Ice getting thin under all of us.

24 Likes

for future reference, the usual pattern of days of the week

16 Likes
8 Likes

covid on the orient express. a story wherein everyone realizes the ocean of an ocean cruise has absolutely nothing to do with viral transmission, instead it’s all the people you are packed in with

16 Likes

Somewhat peripheral, but that “outbreak” in India earlier in the month was traced to lead poisoning. It seems that spiking turmeric with lead chromate and chilli powder with lead oxide improves the colour. :persevere: :cry:

The problem seems wide spread; a big study was done in the 90’s.

About half of the under-12s in the study had a blood lead level double that considered by the World Health Organization to cause symptoms of decreased intelligence, behavioural difficulties and learning problems.

19 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s mostly because of what Bolsonaro is saying. That asshole seems hell bent on getting the highest death toll possible.

8 Likes

At least the prosecutor office of the state of Ceará is investigating one man and one woman who said the vaccine CoronaVac could change the DNA and was made with the HIV.

12 Likes

Corona knows no borders.

https://anba.com.br/en/brazil-to-require-negative-covid-test-to-enter-the-country/

11 Likes
11 Likes

Edit

The Eli Lilly is working on a similar therapy.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-authorizes-monoclonal-antibody-treatment-covid-19

15 Likes

‘I don’t care about that’, says Bolsonaro about Brazil falling behind in vaccination.

But on the other hand:

Ten months after the pandemic, the federal government is evaluating whether it is worthwhile to fund research on Brazilian vaccine against Covid.

12 Likes

My wife got this from a friend convinced it is real. Sigh.

(It’s not, just FYI)

19 Likes

The 4:20 time stamp is a nice touch. And the typos:

Are you SCARRED?

Why, yes. Yes I am. I believe every sane and empathetic American is scarred by now, thanks for asking.

Also, I worry about your wife’s friend’s ability to survive on their own. Are they okay?

23 Likes

I’m worried about what she might do to someone less awful.

8 Likes

Too bad for your wife’s friend. Good luck getting a zombie apocalypse vehicle now, right after Christmas! They sold out weeks ago.

10 Likes

29 Likes
14 Likes