Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

If there are professions where up-to-date vaccinations would be a condition of employment, I would’ve expected healthcare to be at the top of the list.
Anyone working with people who are ill or unable to care for themselves shouldn’t be allowed to jeopardize other people’s health.

17 Likes
12 Likes

Hey, Racist Baby! How are you doing? I haven’t seen you in a while.

Hello, my brother. A salami Lakers.

Oh, you know this article is gonna be good.

13 Likes

Wins my award for the most fucked-up thing I’ve seen today and I’m in the kind of no-good, very bad, terrible mood that makes me focus exclusively on the negative stuff.

17 Likes

Harriot is an astounding talent. I almost always do actual lols when reading his work.

13 Likes

I guffawed aloud @ “One of the side effects of the vaccine is that white women will no longer find Black men attractive.”

13 Likes

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2818-3

Nerdy but interesting article, suggests that a gene cluster on chromosome 3 inherited from Neanderthals may put you at higher risk of respiratory failure from Covid. Interesting consequence is that covid should be less severe in those with African heritage. Obviously not what is seen. Interestingly, this study has been misread and misreported in some mass media as showing the Neanderthal gene cluster is protective, which is not what this study suggests. Preliminary conclusions, early data. Consume with appropriate caution.

14 Likes
11 Likes

Not to mention that there are probably people who would benefit from the Regeneron cocktail that now won’t receive it; not to mention the cost…:rage:

15 Likes

As America gets sucked into the void where there should have been a clump of brain cells organizing things.

Giant :man_facepalming:

11 Likes
17 Likes

“Experts! Phah! What do they know?” :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :roll_eyes: :disappointed:

IIRC, the death rates for Covid-19 have been low in Africa, especially considering how poor the health care infra is in many places. There are many possible explanations for this, but maybe people lacking that genetic cluster is one of the reasons?

12 Likes

Not sure if degree or timeframe of European ancestry makes a difference, but studies keep revealing surprising results:

These discoveries highlight why it’s important to have diversity in vaccine trials. There is hesitancy in Africa, too, because of how past health crises were (mis)managed:

18 Likes

The study I cited looked specifically at a cluster of Neanderthal genes on chromosome 3, but broader studies, of course, indicate that it is more complicated that that.

And absolutely support your statement about diversity in development and testing, of vaccines specifically, and medicine more broadly. We are not a uniform, homogeneous grouping however much some would like it to be so.
To refer back to the Nature study, the Ch3 cluster is very common in South Asia, but remarkably lacking in East Asia. They propose this may be due to negative selective pressure due to circulating coronaviruses throughout our history. If that is true, it’s kind of a fascinating glimpse into the arms race between viruses and human immune response. One has to wonder what kind of mark this pandemic will leave?

18 Likes

Fortunately the child is fine now. Her mother took her to 7 different doctors until one was able to make the diagnosis of a rare syndrome caused by Covid.

According to the article, little Alice’s parents and grandparents were infected, but the girl was probably asymptomatic. The Family only learned that the girl had caught it after manifesting symptoms of Pediatric Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome (SIM-P)

I have also read many anecdotal reports from people who, after being cured, eventually die after heart disease. According to these reports, these people had no heart disease before they were infected with the Coronavirus.

Several posts from the happy mutant colleagues on this forum speak of damage to the hearts of young athletes after covid infection. I hope that this kind of thing is being studied.

19 Likes
16 Likes

This phenomenon has been identified, and is being aggressively studied, but once again, this disease is only 1 year old, our knowledge is limited. Growing, but limited. WDKS and won’t for a while, which is a huge chunk of my worries about this bug. The focus currently is on short term life-and-death outcomes (for perfectly obvious reasons) but, as a pediatrician, my eye is more on the long term. My patient are, for the vastly most part, going to recover quickly and well, but what long term disabilities and limitations have our current assholery placed upon them? Honestly, this is a lot of this reason behind my stress and intermittent burn out. Not that my patients are dying, they are not, but how in the hell can we not give a damn about causing our children permanent disability and suffering so that we can go out for a drink or party, or just because we don’t like wearing a mask?
Sorry, that got ranty fast. Sigh, just where I am right now.

25 Likes

“ In South Carolina and Louisiana — the states shaded the darkest green on the map above — researchers found that one in 20 people who called themselves white had at least 2 percent African ancestry. And in a lot of the South, about 10 percent of people who identified as white turned out to have African DNA.”

17 Likes
16 Likes
18 Likes