Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

23 Likes

So it’s not just us. then?

27 Likes

I admire someone’s commitment if they fly to Brazil and let a deadly viper bite them just to own the libs?

14 Likes

Unfortunately they don’t seem to lack for such commitment.

4 Likes

I remember reading an article about this. But it didn’t get much attention from people. Even the famous silver bullets, those drugs for worms or malaria, are half forgotten these days. Today what people really want here in Brazil is the vaccine.

17 Likes

This is insane. What’s it going to take to get through to people?

17 Likes

I must admit, I was quite surprised when that sort of uniquely American shit started happening in parts of the world I had previously believed to be just a bit more enlightened.

// squints narrowly at Germany

11 Likes

Idiots will invariably exist in any country. It’s just that, in America, they tend to rise to prominent positions in society.

11 Likes
6 Likes

Ostrobothnian anti-vaxxers

This week Finland said it was lifting Covid restrictions when at least 80 percent of the population is fully vaccinated against the virus.

Reaching that level is, however, unlikely in Liminka, a municipality south of Oulu, according to Iltalehti.

Liminka’s leading physician Pauliina Sarajärvi said coronavirus vaccine hesitancy was preventing local residents from getting the jab.

The area is home to many adherents of the Laestadian evangelical Lutheran revival movement, known for their large families and conservative values.

The movement has previously been linked to vaccine opposition in Ostrobothnia’s Luoto region, which currently also has a low uptake of the coronavirus vaccine.

9 Likes

He may be an asshole, but he’s an asshole who made a really great point last night

13 Likes

I feel for people who are trapped and dealing with folks like this:

15 Likes

It was the rollicking atmosphere that had been absent last season in this football-starved corner of southwest Virginia during the coronavirus pandemic. The Hokies’ fans, more than 60,000 strong, were eager to reclaim it, arriving hours before kickoff to celebrate being together again for the season opener against 10th-ranked North Carolina.

Reportedly, over 70k fans in a 66k seat stadium, photos suggest masks were few and far between. People, it is not over!! Some days I wonder why we even try.

24 Likes

The decades of climate change denialism, I could at least understand, sort of, for the most part. This, I just literally don’t get.

But why force people to choose? Here’s a bit of both for raging convenience.

10 Likes

And here it is in the wild:

The crisis standards mean that the quality of care in those hospitals will be reduced for all patients. Resources will be rationed, and patients with the best chances of survival may be prioritized.

18 Likes

Say no more.

See also: eastern Oregon, southern Illinois, western Pennsylvania, etc.

12 Likes

Good points about the hesitant vs. anti-vaxxers here:

11 Likes

Dare I say, death panels?

14 Likes

Saturday is the first UGA home game of the season. My BIL (unvaccinated) will likely go. No mandates, no limits on the stadium. Several (vaccinated players) already tested positive. One of my nieces already had covid…

Meanwhile, at Morehouse in ATL:

14 Likes

A neighbor family moved to Boise (to be closer to their son who doesn’t want to move back to SoCal), and they stopped by a few weeks back to say hi. The family is mostly vaccinated, but the father is a bit blasé about safety protocols.

I get his weariness of all the masking, but I’m hoping he’s changed his mind and is having his 10-year-old mask while in school as she is not yet vaccinated. :crossed_fingers:

14 Likes